By From staff reports
Published in Sports on March 20, 2012 1:50 PM
C.B. Aycock 8, Southern Wayne 1
* PIKEVILLE -- Charles B. Aycock swept through singles play and rolled to an 8-1 victory over county and Eastern Carolina 3-A Conference rival Southern Wayne on Monday afternoon.
Will Hoff, Michael Kearney, Addison Vail, Austin Walker, Chas Hooks and Sam Chastain each prevailed during singles play for the Golden Falcons.
The tandems of Vail-Walker and Hooks-Chastain each claimed a point during doubles action for the Golden Falcons.
The duo of Brandon Outlaw-Alan Nunez earned the Saints' lone point in doubles play.
Southern Wayne (7-4 overall, 3-3 ECC) plays host to East Duplin on Wednesday. C.B. Aycock (7-1, 4-1) travels to Greene Central today.
Eastern Wayne 8, North Lenoir 1
* LaGRANGE -- Unbeaten Eastern Wayne claimed all six singles points en route to an 8-1 win over Eastern Carolina 3-A Conference foe North Lenoir on Monday afternoon.
Chaz Fitzpatrick, Russell Turner, Steven Taylor, Mitchell Kaspar, Sawyer Thompson and Cole Newsome each prevailed during singles play.
The tandems of Fitzpatrick-Turner and Taylor-Newsome each won in doubles.
The pairing of Evan Kramer-Brett Sheer earned the Hawks' only point.
Eastern Wayne (9-0 overall, 6-0 ECC) travels to South Johnston on Wednesday.
North Duplin 2, Lakewood 1
* CALYPSO -- North Duplin staged a rally in the bottom of the seventh inning and escaped with a 2-1 win over Lakewood on Monday afternoon.
Bryce Best delivered the game-tying single with one out in the seventh. Tyler Potter then raced home from third base on a passed ball to end the game.
Ryan Wolfe got the win on the pitcher's mound with a complete-game performance. Wolfe scattered four hits and struck out six batters.
North Duplin plays host to Goldsboro on Wednesday in the Carolina 1-A Conference opener for both teams.
Faith Christian 13,
Trinity of Greenville 11
* GREENVILLE -- Faith Christian jumped on top early and held off Trinity of Greenville for a 13-11 win in N.C. Christian Schools Association Class 2-A play Monday afternoon.
Brandon Jones threw three innings and struck out four batters to earn the win. Michael Clarke got the save.
Jones paced the Conquerors at the plate with two hits and three runs scored. Clarke added two hits and three RBI. Noah Welch also finished with two hits.
Faith Christian (5-1 overall, 2-0 NCCSA 2-A) travels to defending state champion Bethel Christian today.
Wayne Christian 12, Goldsboro 5
* Wayne Christian held off Goldsboro 12-5 on Monday afternoon.
Cameron Foss earned the win on the pitcher's mound for the Eagles. Bryce Norman and Chandler Harrell each tossed an inning of scoreless relief.
Kyle Kiker batted 1-for-1 with an RBI double and scored twice for the Cougars. Chase Jenkins added a double and scored a run. Jamal Moses endured the pitching loss.
Wayne Christian entertains Bethel Christian on Friday. Goldsboro launches its Carolina 1-A Conference season Wednesday at North Duplin.
Trinity of Durham 9,
Wayne Country Day 8
* A seven-run third inning was too much for Wayne Country Day to overcome in a 9-8, non-conference loss to Trinity of Durham on Monday afternoon.
Cody Neal, Thomas Kierski, Cole Davis and Hil Tanner each recorded two hits in the defeat.
Davis suffered the loss on the pitcher's mound and allowed three earned runs in 3 2/3 innings pf relief.
Wayne Country Day (1-3 overall) travels to Lawrence Academy on Friday.
North Duplin 16, Lakewood 6
* CALYPSO -- North Duplin earned a 16-6, non-conference win over Lakewood in five innings on Monday afternoon.
Ansley Hill picked up the win in the pitcher's circle. Hill allowed three hits and struck out seven batters.
Courtney Bennett and Noel Strichfield paced the Rebels at the plate with three hits. Raychel Barwick, Skylar McCarty and Hill each added two hits.
North Duplin (4-3 overall) starts Carolina 1-A Conference play at home Wednesday against Goldsboro.
Cape fear Christian 12,
Wayne Christian 2
* FAYETTEVILLE -- Wayne Christian was undone by 16 walks and four errors in a 12-2 defeat at Cape Fear Christian on Monday.
Kelsey Kornegay and Courtney Barrow each recorded an RBI double for the Eagles. Georgia Parnell scored two runs in the loss.
Wayne Christian (1-2 overall) entertains Faith Christian of Rocky Mount on Thursday.
C.B. Aycock 4, Beddingfield 0
* WILSON -- Charles B. Aycock posted a 4-0 shutout over Beddingfield on Monday night.
Cheyenne Warrick scored two goals and tallied an assist in the win. Sam Parrish and Emily Borel each finished with one goal and an assist.
Alex Van-Meir earned the shutout in goal for the Golden Falcons.
C.B. Aycock (6-3 overall) plays host to Eastern Wayne tonight at 6 p.m.
SouthWest Edgecombe 0
* PINETOPS -- Princeton dominated from the start in an 8-0 win over SouthWest Edgecombe on Monday.
Ashley Jacobs recorded a hat trick (three goals). Jessica Brush tallied two goals and an assist in the win. Jordan Johnson added two goals and Kassandra Bautista scored one goal.
Amber Hill made two saves in net.
Princeton entertains North Lenoir today.
Eagles place second
* Rosewood emerged victorious in five individual events, but Greene Central used its depth in every event to claim a non-conference, five-team meet Monday afternoon.
The Rams piled up 170 points, while the Eagles collected 90. Eastern N.C. School for the Deaf was a distant third with 33 points, followed by Wayne Christian (30) and Wayne Country Day (6).
Kasie Elliott placed first in the 3,200-meter run (15 minutes, 52 seconds) and captured the 1,600 in 6:59. Fellow Rosewood teammates Brynna Lee (pole vault), Holly Heath (high jump) and Alysse Atwell (300 hurdles) won one event apiece.
* Baseball: North Duplin 11, Lakewood 0 -- Ced Kornegay emerged the winning pitcher as North Duplin dropped Lakewood on Monday. Kornegay allowed two hits and struck out six batters. J.D. Smith finished with two hits for the Rebels.
* Princeton 22, Selma 0 -- Kasey Johnson earned the win in the pitcher's circle for the Bulldawgs. Princeton (5-0 overall) travels to Benson on Thursday.
Other Local Sports
- Stevens: Time will tell of Manning's decision
- Local Preps Digest
- Aycock plays old fashioned
- CBA-G. Central box
- Trojans batter No. 5-ranked Catawba
- Preps digest: North Duplin hands Goldsboro mercy-rule loss in Carolina opener
- MOC softball takes doubleheader from Belmont Abbey
- Trojan baseball climbs in polls
- ECU nips N.C. State
- Local Preps Digest