Local Preps Digest
By From staff reports
Published in Sports on March 21, 2012 1:48 PM
C.B. Aycock 10,
Eastern Wayne 0, (6 inn.)
* PIKEVILLE -- Brooke Bell and Meredith Burroughs combined to pitch a one-hit shutout and Charles B. Aycock cruised past Eastern Wayne 10-0 in six innings on Tuesday evening.
Bell recorded the win inside the pitcher's circle with four scoreless innings and seven strikeouts. Burroughs worked the final two innings and surrendered just one hit with two strikeouts and three walks.
Rachel Jordan (four RBI), Ivy Hartzell (two RBI) and Connor Davis (RBI) each had two hits for the Golden Falcons. Katie Gay added a two-run home run, and Misty Edwards and Cierra Harris each had a hit.
Tiffany Gussenhofen had the Warriors' lone hit.
Allison Newsome endured the pitching loss.
Aycock (7-2 overall, 4-0 ECC) continues Eastern Carolina 3-A Conference play today at North Lenoir, while Eastern Wayne visits Spring Creek.
Princeton 5, Ayden-Grifton 4
* PRINCETON -- Tori Paul delivered the game-winning hit in the bottom of the seventh inning and Princeton opened Carolina 1-A Conference play with a 5-4, walk-off win over Ayden-Grifton on Tuesday night.
The Bulldogs trailed 4-2 entering their final at-bat before erupting for three runs. Hannah Woodard's triple scored Savanna Massengill to cut the margin to 4-3. Megan Gerrell's RBI single tied the game at 4-4.
Charlie Cox added a single before Paul's single between third base and the Chargers' shortstop scored the winning run. Cox finished with two hits.
Freshman Casey Edwards earned the win inside the pitcher's circle with three innings of two-hit, shutout relief.
Faith Christian 14,
Mount Calvary 2, (5 inn.)
* Faith Christian needed just five innings to dispose of Mount Calvary, 14-2, in five innings on Tuesday afternoon.
Christina Powell, Meredith Clark and Hannah Stocks all supplied three hits for the Conquerors (5-1 overall). Elizabethe Weeks contributed two hits.
Stocks allowed one hit in two scoreless innings in the pitcher's circle. Abigail Pierce surrendered two runs on three hits in three innings of relief.
Southern Wayne 4,
South Johnston 2
* FOUR OAKS -- Southern Wayne kept pace in the Eastern Carolina 3-A Conference race with a 4-2 win on Tuesday evening at South Johnston.
Tyler Gainey pitched a complete game for the Saints, allowing two unearned runs on three hits with six strikeouts and one walk. Gainey also contributed two hits offensively, including a two-run double. Keith Jones (RBI), Clayton Cashwell and Taylor Raynor each had two hits.
Southern Wayne (6-3 overall, 3-1 ECC) visits Wilmington Ashley today.
Greene Central 8, Kinston 5
* SNOW HILL -- Greene Central earned its first Eastern Plains 2-A Conference victory of the season with an 8-5 win over Kinston on Tuesday evening.
Ryan Cobb recorded the win on the mound allowing five runs (three earned) one seven hits with 10 strikeouts and three walks in six innings.
Mason Head (two RBI), Gunner Tyndall (RBI), Chad Murphy and Tucker Jones all provided two hits for the Rams.
Greene Central (3-5 overall, 1-2 EPC) plays host to Charles B. Aycock in non-conference play on Thursday.
Faith Christian 22,
Bethel Christian 5, (5 inn.)
* Faith Christian got its offense going early in a 22-5 rout of defending N.C. Christian Schools Association 2-A state champion Bethel Christian in five innings on Thursday.
Trent Wise tallied four hits and two RBI for the Conquerors. Brandon Jones (RBI), Dillon Floars and Noah Welch each added a hit.
Michael Clark pitched a complete game and earned the win on the mound. Clark surrendered five runs (four earned) on two hits with seven strikeouts and five walks.
Faith (6-1 overall, 3-0 Coastal Region 2-A) faces Hilltop Christian on Thursday.
Wayne Country Day 4
* Rosewood held off Wayne Country Day for a 5-4 victory on Tuesday afternoon.
Dylan Cuddington, Daniel El Awaar, Nolan Tubb and Hunter Hinson each provided a singles win for the Eagles. The team of Tubb-Hinson also prevailed at No. 3 doubles.
Jack Langston and Douglas Williams recorded wins in singles play for the Chargers. The tandems of Michael Knutson-Miller Gerard and Langston-Williams were also victorious.
Wayne Christian 6, Greenfield 3
* WILSON -- Wayne Christian picked up a 6-3, non-conference win on Tuesday afternoon at Greenfield.
Daniel Glover, Christopher Eason, Hunter Timmerman and Grahm Fussell each collected a singles win for the Eagles. The doubles teams of Glover-Easom and Timmerman-Fussell also prevailed.
Wayne Christian (4-1 overall) plays host to Wayne Country Day on Friday.
Southern Wayne 1,
South Johnston 1
* FOUR OAKS -- Eastern Carolina 3-A Conference foes Southern Wayne and South Johnston played to a 1-1 draw on Tuesday evening.
Dixie Ramirez tied the game for the Saints' off Alva Perez's assist in the 30th minute. Southern Wayne keeper Maria Gutierrez tallied 16 saves.
The Saints (1-4-3 overall, 0-3-1 ECC) visit Kinston today.
Eagles sink competition
* DUDLEY -- Rosewood had three players shoot under 80 and the Eagles rolled to a victory on Tuesday afternoon in a four-team Carolina 1-A Conference match at Southern Wayne Country Club.
Nick Adams earned medalist honors with a round of 71 and Rosewood compiled a team score of 313. Blake Weaver and Andrew Henn both carded a 77. Bret Robinson finished with an 88.
Princeton tallied a score of 368 and finished in second place. James Boren led the Bulldogs with a round of 86. Ryan Woodard fired a 81 and Joel Hines shot a 93.
Goldsboro was third with a team score of 370. Matt Hall (90) and Jeff Johnson (91) led the Cougars. Lukas O'Daniel added a round of 93.
Spring Creek, the host for the match, finished fourth with a team score of 427. Tyler Ludlum paced the Gators with a 101. Chandler Cannon provided a round of 104 and Justin Price and Dwayne Brown each shot 111.
* Baseball: Harrells Christian 4, Wayne Christian 3 -- Chandler Gentry, Tanner Rose, Bryce Norman and Austin Howell each had two hits for the Eagles. Cameron Foss, Norman and Howell combined to record 13 strikeouts on the mound.
Other Local Sports
- Rosewood, James Kenan lead respective leagues after winter Cup competition
- WCS Eagles collect middle school softball win
- WCDS netters nip archrival on tennis courts
- Ford scores three goals for Chargers
- No. 1-ranked Lawrence slips past WCDS, 6-5
- Wayne Christian hammers out non-conference win over Bethel Christian
- Ramirez, Perez each notch hat trick for Saints
- Gators claim ugly win in Carolina 1-A opener
- S. Creek-Princeton baseball box
- Princeton defeats Spring Creek on softball diamond