Local Preps Digest
By From staff reports
Published in Sports on March 23, 2012 1:48 PM
Wayne Christian 13,
Faith-Rocky Mount 3, (5 inn.)
* Wayne Christian scored three runs in the first inning and never looked back in a 13-3 rout of Faith Christian of Rocky Mount on Thursday.
Courtney Barrow paced the Eagles with three hits. Georgia Parnell provided two hits. Victoria Combs earned the win inside the pitcher's circle and Kelsey Kornegay supplied three innings of relief.
Wayne Christian (2-2 overall) entertains Northwood Temple on April 2.
C.B. Aycock 6, North Lenoir 0
* LaGRANGE -- Brooke Bell pitched a complete-game, one-hit shutout and Charles B. Aycock remained unbeaten in Eastern Carolina 3-A Conference play with a 6-0 win at North Lenoir on Thursday evening.
Bell recorded six strikeouts and allowed just one walk.
Rachel Jordan (RBI) and Reagan Herndon both contributed two hits. Bell (RBI), Taylor Bradshaw (RBI), Cierra Harris, Breanna Brown, Connor Davis and Misty Edwards each had one hit.
Madison Allen recorded the Hawks' only hit.
Chargers win two
* Wayne Country Day swept a doubleheader with visiting Terra Ceia on Thursday afternoon.
The Chargers won game one 14-4 and prevailed 15-10 in game two.
Brooke Neal earned the win inside the pitcher's circle in both contests.
Payton Meadows led Wayne Country Day with three hits in the opener. Taylor Sledge added two hits. Neal, Jessica Zhou, Jessica Eisenhauer and Sarah Jane Ammons each had one hit.
In game two, Eisenhauer tallied three hits. Zhou and Ammons each supplied two hits. Neal, Logan Harrell, Meadows, Sarah Crooks, Sledge and Aimee Barnes all had a hit.
Faith Christian 14,
Hilltop Christian 8
* Connor Anderson ignited Faith Christian's offense with a third-inning grand slam and the Conquerors went on to a 14-8 win over Hilltop Christian on Thursday.
Wes Caudle led Faith with three hits and two RBI. Anderson finished with two hits and five RBI. Brandon Jones earned the win on the mound and allowed eight runs (five earned) on four hits with six strikeouts and seven walks.
The Conquerors (7-1 overall) entertain Berean Christian on Monday.
* Rosewood held off Princeton and finished first in a three-team Carolina 1-A Conference meet on Thursday afternoon.
The Eagles recorded 72 points and finished just ahead of the Bulldogs' score of 70. Ayden-Grifton was third with 43 points.
Rosewood's Jaylan Sneed won the triple jump and the 300-meter hurdles. Ricky Donahue was first in the pole vault and Joshua Davis claimed the 400 meters. Brendan Trinidad bested the competition in the 800 meters and Nick Britt prevailed in the 3,200 meters.
The Eagles also won the 400-, 1600- and 3200-meter relays.
Eagles claim tri-meet
* PRINCETON -- Rosewood compiled a team score of 61 and finished one point ahead of second place Ayden-Grifton in a Carolina 1-A Conference tri-meet on Thursday.
The host Bulldogs finished third with 58 points.
The Eagles' Alysse Atwell finished first in the triple jump and 100-meter hurdles. Holly Heath was first in the high jump. Bryanna Lee prevailed in the pole vault and 800 meters, while Ashley Duran won the 1,600-meter run.
Kasie Elliot claimed the 3200 meters and Rosewood's 1,600-meter relay team of Heat, Jamekia Best, Krystal Yelverton and Atwell also won.
Goldsboro 5, RM Prep 0
* Five different players scored one goal apiece in Goldsboro's 5-0, non-conference victory over Rocky Mount Prep on Wednesday evening.
Holly Pittard, Ana Harris, Dorian Wences, Maddie Vera and Morgan McLaughlin each punched in one goal. Pittard, Harris and Wences each recorded one assist.
The Cougars (1-3-1 overall) entertain Kinston on March 28.
Other Local Sports
- Rosewood, James Kenan lead respective leagues after winter Cup competition
- WCS Eagles collect middle school softball win
- WCDS netters nip archrival on tennis courts
- Ford scores three goals for Chargers
- No. 1-ranked Lawrence slips past WCDS, 6-5
- Wayne Christian hammers out non-conference win over Bethel Christian
- Ramirez, Perez each notch hat trick for Saints
- Gators claim ugly win in Carolina 1-A opener
- S. Creek-Princeton baseball box
- Princeton defeats Spring Creek on softball diamond