Local Preps Digest
By From staff reports
Published in Sports on March 28, 2012 1:49 PM
Wayne Country Day 7,
* Wayne Country Day shook off a mistake-filled loss to Wayne Christian on Monday evening and bounced back for a 7-2 victory over visiting Oakwood on Tuesday afternoon.
It was the Coastal Plains Independent 1-A opener for both teams.
Cody Neal (two RBI) and Hil Tanner (RBI) led the Chargers with two hits apiece. Cole Davis (RBI), Josh Jackson, Wyatt Bland and Mitch Turnage each supplied a hit.
Neal recorded the win on the mound and Thomas Kierski provided 21/2 innings of scoreless relief.
Wayne Country Day (2-5 overall, 1-0 CPIC) visits defending state champion Faith Christian-Rocky Mount on Thursday.
North Duplin 6, Princeton 2
* CALYPSO -- North Duplin turned back Carolina 1-A Conference foe Princeton 6-2 on Tuesday night.
Breyon Johnson paced the Rebels with two hits and an RBI. James Kornegay (two RBI) and Ryan Wolfe (RBI) each had a hit.
Mitchell Thigpen earned the win on the mound and surrendered three hits in five innings. Ryan Wolfe pitched two innings of relief.
The Bulldogs (2-9 overall, 0-3 CC) visit Goldsboro today, while North Duplin (8-1, 2-0) travels to Ayden-Grifton.
Rosewood 18, Goldsboro 0 (5 inn.)
* Rosewood defeated Goldsboro 18-0 in five innings in Carolina 1-A Conference play on Tuesday night.
Ian Speight had four hits for the Eagles. Matt Shaw, Khalil Warren and Bryce McKeel each provided three hits. Will Lane added two hits.
Reed Howell collected the win on the mound.
Rosewood (1-7 overall) plays host to Spring Creek on Thursday.
Ayden-Grifton 1, Spring Creek 0
* SEVEN SPRINGS -- Spring Creek was held to just one hit in a 1-0 loss to Carolina 1-A Conference opponent Ayden-Grifton on Tuesday night.
Allen Coor recorded the Gators' only hit.
Corey Howell surrendered just two hits and struck out 10, but endured the loss on the mound.
Spring Creek (6-6 overall, 1-1 CC) visits Rosewood on Thursday.
Farmville Central 10,
Greene Central 0 (6 inn.)
* FARMVILLE -- Greene Central suffered a 10-0 loss in six innings to Eastern Plains 2-A Conference foe Farmville Central on Tuesday night.
Chad Murphy, Ryan Cobb, Davis Wilson and Brandon Bishop each provided a hit for the Rams.
Cobb endured the loss on the mound.
Greene Central (4-7 overall, 2-3 EPC) plays host to North Pitt on Friday.
C.B. Aycock 14,
Southern Wayne 0 (41/2 inn.)
* PIKEVILLE -- Charles B. Aycock rolled past Southern Wayne 14-0 in 41/2 innings on Tuesday evening.
Reagan Herndon and Rachel Jordan paced the Golden Falcons with three hits and two RBI apiece. Cierra Harris (four RBI), Connor Davis (three RBI) and Meredith Burroughs all had two hits.
Misty Edwards added a hit and an RBI.
Burroughs collected the win in the pitcher's circle and surrendered just one hit with four strikeouts and two walks in four innings. Harris pitched an inning of scoreless relief with two strikeouts and no hits.
Hope Rose tallied the Saints' lone hit.
Aycock (9-2 overall, 6-0 ECC) entertains South Central today.
Rosewood 25, Goldsboro 4 (5 inn.)
* Rosewood eased past Goldsboro 25-4 in five innings on Tuesday night.
Callie Thornton supplied a three-run home run for the Eagles and Amanda Beckert recorded the win in the pitcher's circle.
Rosewood (8-0 overall, 2-0 CC) plays host to Spring Creek on Thursday.
North Duplin 9 (8 inn.)
* CALYPSO -- Princeton pushed across four runs in the eighth inning and earned a 12-9 Carolina 1-A Conference win over North Duplin on Tuesday night.
Skylar McCarty provided four hits for the Rebels. Ansley Hill supplied three hits. Noelle Stritchfield, Christin Boykin and Courtney Bennett each had a hit.
North Duplin (4-5 overall, 1-1 CC) travels to Ayden-Grifton on Friday.
C.B. Aycock 8, Rocky Mount 1
* ROCKY MOUNT -- Charles B. Aycock dominated non-conference opponent Rocky Mount 8-1 on Tuesday afternoon.
Will Hoff, Michael Kearney, Addison Vail, Austin Walker, Chas Hooks and Sam Chastain each earned a singles victory for the Golden Falcons.
The doubles teams of Jackson Yelverton-Austin Coerver and Alan Best-Stanton Head also prevailed.
Aycock (12-1 overall) resumes Eastern Carolina 3-A Conference play today at South Johnston.
Wayne Christian 8,
Trinity Academy-Raleigh 1
* Wayne Christian cruised past Carolina Christian 1-A Conference foe Trinity Academy of Raleigh 8-1 on Tuesday afternoon at Wayne Community College.
Daniel Glover, Christopher Easom, Matthew Jackson, Hunter Timmerman and Grahm Fussell each provided a singles win for the Eagles. The doubles teams of Glover-Easom, Timmerman-Jackson, and Nicholas Easom-Fussell were also victorious.
Wayne Christian (5-2, 1-1 CCC) entertains Flora McDonald on April 3.
Wayne Country Day 5, Coastal Christian 4
* Michael Knutson-Miller Gerard prevailed at No. 1 doubles and lifted Wayne Country Day to a 5-4, non-conference win over Coastal Christian on Tuesday afternoon.
Knutson, Gerrard, Jack Langston and Douglas Williams each prevailed in singles.
The Chargers (3-2 overall) travel to face Eastern Wayne's junior varsity team on Thursday.
Ayden-Grifton 6, Rosewood 3
* LITTLEFIELD -- Rosewood launched its Carolina 1-A Conference season with a 6-3 loss to Ayden-Grifton on Tuesday afternoon.
Dylan Cuddington and Daniel Elawar each emerged victorious in singles play for the Eagles. Cuddington-Fuad Ismail triumphed at No. 1 doubles.
Rosewood travels to Spring Creek on Thursday.
Eastern Wayne 7, North Lenoir 0
* LaGRANGE -- Jordan Jackson logged a hat trick (three goals) and Eastern Wayne hammered North Lenoir, 7-0, in an Eastern Carolina 3-A Conference match at Bullock Field.
Megan Mozingo provided two goals and two assists.
Lily Herlihy and Ann Reed Hulse supplied one goal apiece.
The Warriors (5-4-0 overall, 5-2-0 ECC) travel to South Johnston today.
South Johnston 5, Princeton 3
* FOUR OAKS -- Morgan Gatlin notched the hat trick (three goals) and sparked South Johnston to a 5-3, non-conference triumph over county rival Princeton.
Jessica Brush scored twice for the Bulldogs. Ashley Jacobs added one goal, while Jasmine Bombard and Jenna Woodard each handed out one assist.
Princeton goalie Amber Hill recorded 13 saves.
The Bulldogs dropped to 4-4-1 overall.
Walnut Creek LGA
* Jewel Ivey was the low gross winner during weekly play on the Walnut Creek Country Club links. Hiromi Sueki and Evelyn Rose seized low net and low putts, respectively.
On March 20, Sueki won low gross during weekly action. Faye Franklin and Rose captured low net and low putts, respectively.