By From staff reports
Published in Sports on April 3, 2012 1:48 PM
Wayne Christian 10,
Northwood Temple 0
* Victoria Combs and Kelsey Kornegay combined for a no-hitter in the pitcher's circle, and Wayne Christian handed Northwood Temple a 10-0 loss in Carolina Christian 1-A Conference play Monday afternoon.
Courtney Barrow led Wayne Christian at the plate with three hits including a triple and two doubles. Combs added a double.
Wayne Christian (3-2 overall, 1-1 CCC) faces Wayne Country Day on April 16.
Rosewood 5, Wilson Fike 2
* WILSON -- Rosewood right-hander Amanda Beckert threw a two-hitter and scattered eight hits during a 5-2, non-conference win over Wilson Fike on Monday evening.
Beckert and Megan Tyndall each finished with two hits in the win. Scout Anderson, Anna Ingram and Callie Thornton each added one hit.
"Defensively, we played pretty well," first-year RHS head coach Shay Campbell said. "We had a few miscues, but were able to rebound from the mistakes and played aggressively on defense."
Rosewood (9-0 overall) travels to North Duplin today.
James Kenan 4, Union 2
* WARSAW -- James Kenan claimed a 4-2 victory over Tri-County 1-A Conference foe Union on Monday afternoon.
Steed Jones led the Tigers with two hits and one run scored. Gunnar Wolz added two hits. Corey Sutton, Seth Bass and TJ Fullwood each added one hit in the win.
Wolz claimed the win on the pitcher's mound with a complete-game effort that included five strikeouts.
James Kenan (3-8 overall) plays East Duplin in the opening round of the Wallace-Rose Hill Easter Tournament on Thursday.
Eastern Wayne 9, Triton 0
* ERWIN -- Eastern Wayne rolled past Eastern Carolina 3-A Conference foe Triton 9-0 on Monday afternoon.
Russell Turner, Steven Taylor, Mitchell Kaspar, Sawyer Thompson, Cole Newsome and Rex Smith each prevailed during singles action for the Warriors.
The pairings of Turner-Kaspar, Taylor-Newsome and Thompson-Smith each won in doubles play.
Eastern Wayne (13-0 overall, 9-0 ECC) plays host to North Lenoir on Wednesday.
North Lenoir 7, Southern Wayne 2
* LaGRANGE -- North Lenoir swept through doubles play turned back Southern Wayne, 7-2, in an Eastern Carolina 3-A Conference match Monday afternoon.
Evan Kramer, Tyler Gray, Chris Thaxton and Will Hardy each earned a singles point for the Hawks. The tandems of Sean Kramer-Brett Shear, Gray-Thaxton and Kramer-Hardy each won in doubles play.
Chris Judy and Anuar Ramirez each claimed a singles point for the Saints.
Southern Wayne (9-6 overall, 4-5 ECC) plays host to Charles B. Aycock on Wednesday.
Northern Nash 5, C.B. Aycock 4
* PIKEVILLE -- Northern Nash captured four singles points and held on for a 5-4 win over C.B. Aycock on Monday afternoon.
Michael Kearney and Sam Chastain emerged the Golden Falcons winners during singles play.
The tandems of Will Hoff-Kearney and Addison Vail-Austin Walker each won in doubles.
C.B. Aycock (13-2 overall) entertains Wilson Fike today.
Lane Tree LGA
* Sherry Minner claimed game-of-the-week honors during action contested on the Lane Tree Golf Club links. Novella Gambelli secured low net and Linda Watson was the low putts winner.
Cathy Garris shot a 79 -- the day's low round.
Watson chipped in the 13th hole. Linda Hilburn and Susan Davis chipped in Nos. 7 and 9, respectively.
Other Local Sports
- Wayne County track meet results
- Local digest
- Local game times changed
- Mount Olive baseball finally fitting together
- MOC baseball downs Chowan
- MOC hammers Barton softball
- C.B. Aycock claims Wayne County girls' track title
- Eastern Wayne wins Wayne County boys' track title
- Wednesday preps
- Best nips Adams, retains crown