By From staff reports
Published in Sports on April 4, 2012 1:48 PM
Spring Creek 15,
Goldsboro 0 (5 inn.)
* Corey Howell and Luke Miller combined for a no-hitter in Spring Creek's 15-0, five-inning triumph over Carolina 1-A Conference foe Goldsboro.
Howell recorded seven strikeouts in three innings of work.
Zack Harrell and Allen Coor both collected two hits. Chad Spurgeon, Trey Hammonds, Miller, Matt Rogers, Chris Nichols and Howell each had a hit.
Spring Creek (8-6 overall, 3-1 CC) returns to action April 12 against Princeton in the Deacon Jones Invitational.
C.B. Aycock 7, Greene Central 1
* PIKEVILLE -- Charles B. Aycock got its offense going in a 7-1, non-conference victory over Greene Central on Tuesday afternoon.
Blake Sutton paced the Golden Falcons with three hits and an RBI. Logan Brown supplied two hits and an RBI. Avery Anderson (RBI) and Justin Barbour each added a hit. Greg Johnson earned the win on the mound with two innings of no-hit, scoreless relief with two strikeouts and no walks.
Aycock (9-4 overall) visits Southern Wayne on Thursday.
Eastern Wayne 14, Triton 3 (5 inn.)
* ERWIN -- Eastern Wayne needed just five innings to down Triton 14-3 on Tuesday night.
Hunter Barnett led the Warriors with three hits and two RBI. Wes Capps (four RBI), Zack Mozingo (three RBI), Wes Stewart (two RBI) and Ryan Faucette (RBI) each had two hits. Grayson Wells added a hit.
Barnett pitched all five innings, allowing three runs (one earned) on three hits with eight strikeouts and two walks.
Eastern Wayne (9-4 overall, 7-1 ECC) plays host to North Lenoir on Thursday.
North Duplin 5, Rosewood 3
* CALYPSO -- North Duplin held off Carolina 1-A Conference opponent Rosewood 5-3 on Tuesday night.
Breyon Johnson (RBI), Tyler Potter and James Britt each contributed two hits for the Rebels. James Kornegay provided a hit and three RBI. Joseph King added a hit and an RBI.
Ryan Wolfe earned the win on the mound with 32/3 innings of scoreless relief.
North Duplin (9-1 overall, 3-0 CC) returns to action April 10 in the Clinton Invitational.
Wayne Country Day 12,
Freedom Christian 0
* Wayne Country Day cruised past Coastal Plains Independent 1-A Conference opponent Freedom Christian 12-0 on Tuesday afternoon.
Hil Tanner (three RBI), Cole Davis (RBI) and Josh Jackson (RBI) each had two hits for the Chargers. Mitch Turnage (two RBI), Wyatt Bland (two RBI) and Mason Bland (RBI) all added a hit.
Tanner recorded the win on the mound, allowing one hit with four strikeouts and five walks in three innings of work.
Wayne Country Day (3-6 overall, 2-1 CPIC) visits Epiphany on Thursday.
North Lenoir 3,
Southern Wayne 2 (9 inn.)
* LaGRANGE -- Liz Deal delivered the game-winning hit in the bottom of the ninth inning as North Lenoir slipped past Southern Wayne 3-2 in an Eastern Carolina 3-A Conference game Tuesday night.
Haley Warren endured the loss inside the pitcher's circle for Southern Wayne. Madison Davis, Taylor Davis and Warren each had two hits for the Saints.
Southern Wayne (3-12 overall, 1-6 ECC) plays host to C.B. Aycock today.
Rosewood 9, North Duplin 0
* CALYPSO -- Rosewood pounded out 15 hits and rolled past Carolina 1-A Conference opponent North Duplin 9-0 on Tuesday night.
Charlotte Kornegay (RBI) supplied a double and a triple for the Eagles. Scout Anderson (RBI) and Callie Thornton provided a pair of doubles. Megann Tyndall added a two-run home run. Anna Ingram (RBI) had two hits and Amanda Beckert, Laura Vinson (RBI) and Trakedrian Parks (RBI) each contributed a double.
Beckert earned her 10th win of the season inside the pitcher's circle and tossed a complete-game shutout while allowing three hits with four strikeouts and one walk.
Rosewood entertains Neuse-Charter on Thursday.
Wayne Country Day 5, Faith Christian-Rocky Mount 2
* Sarah Best scored four goals and Wayne Country Day defeated Coastal Plains Independent 1-A Conference rival Faith Christian-Rocky Mount 5-2 on Tuesday afternoon.
Margaret Tanner supplied a goal and an assist for the Chargers. Catherine Ford provided two assists.
Wayne Country Day (4-4 overall, 2-1 CPIC) entertains East Wake Academy on Thursday.
Southern Wayne 0, North Lenoir 0
* LaGRANGE -- Eastern Carolina 3-A Conference rivals Southern Wayne and North Lenoir played to a scoreless draw at Bullock Field on Tuesday evening.
The Saints owned a 20-8 edge in shots.
Southern Wayne (3-6-4 overall, 1-4-2 ECC) entertains Kinston today and league-leading C.B. Aycock on Thursday.
Goldsboro 1, Kinston 1
* Ana Harris scored the lone Cougars' goal and Goldsboro battled to a 1-1, non-conference draw against Kinston.
Dorian Wences provided the assist.
The Cougars (2-3-2 overall) play host to Princeton on April 16.
Wayne Christian 8, Flora MacDonald 1
* Wayne Christian turned back visiting Flora MacDonald Academy 8-1 on Tuesday afternoon.
Daniel Glover, Christopher Easom, Nicholas Easom, Matthew Jackson, Hunter Timmerman and Grahm Fussell each recorded a singles victory for the Eagles.
The doubles teams of Fussell-Cody Easom and Timmerman-Ben Massey also won.
Wayne Christian (6-2 overall) entertains Greenfield on April 16.
Rosewood 7, Goldsboro 2
* Rosewood knocked off Goldsboro 7-2 on Tuesday afternoon.
Dylan Cuddington, Fouad Ismail, Daniel El Awar, Nolan Tubb and Hunter Hinson each recorded a singles victory for the Eagles. The doubles teams of Cuddington-Elawaar and Ismail-Tubb also prevailed.
Robbie King earned a singles victory for the Cougars.
Goldsboro's Nathan Wright and Vincent-Spagnuolo won at No. 3 doubles.
Ayden-Grifton 9, Spring Creek 0
* SEVEN SPRINGS -- Ayden-Grifton turned back Spring Creek 9-0 on Tuesday afternoon.
The Gators play host to Goldsboro on Thursday.
Wilson Fike 6, C.B. Aycock 3
* PIKEVILLE -- Wilson Fike won four of six singles matches on its way to a 6-3 win Tuesday afternoon at Charles B. Aycock.
Austin Walker and Chas Hooks recorded the Golden Falcons' victories in singles play. Hooks and Sam Chastain had Aycock's lone win in doubles action.
Aycock (13-3 overall) travels to Southern Wayne today.
Wayne Country Day 6, Cape Fear Academy 3
* Wayne Country Day earned the necessary points in singles play and seized a 6-3, non-conference triumph over Cape Fear Academy.
Michael Knutson, Jack Langston, Miller Gerard, Douglas Miller and Charlie Roethling each emerged victorious singles play. Knutson-Gerard picked up the Chargers' lone doubles point.
WCDS improved to 4-3 overall.
* Baseball: Rosewood 9, North Duplin 1 -- No other details reported.
* Baseball: Rosewood 10, Mount Olive 0 -- Derek Neal paced the Eagles with three hits. Boone Moody and Blake Dean both had two hits. Tanner Bradley picked up the win on the mound and tallied seven strikeouts. Rosewood (10-2) faces Norwayne today.
* Baseball: Wayne Christian 17, Neuse Charter 2 -- Hunter Burt and Matthew Swets both contributed inside-the-park home runs for the Eagles. Carlyle Smith picked up the win on the mound. Wayne Christian (5-0) plays host to Ridgecroft on Thursday.