Local Preps Digest
By From staff reports
Published in Sports on April 6, 2012 1:48 PM
Wayne Country Day 7,
* NEW BERN -- Wayne Country Day knocked off Coastal Plains Independent 1-A Conference foe Epiphany 7-3 on Thursday afternoon.
Mason Bland paced the Chargers with three hits and two RBI. Hil Tanner (four RBI), Cody Neal, Wyatt Bland and Josh Jackson each had a hit.
Neal threw a complete-game seven-hitter. He allowed three earns runs, walked three and struck out three.
Wayne Country Day (4-6 overall, 3-1 CPIC) entertains Faith Christian on Monday.
Wayne Christian 12,
* Chase Darden collected three hits, including a home run, and Wayne Christian routed Carolina Christian 1-A foe Northwood, 12-2, on Thursday evening.
Cameron Foss, Ryan Cook and Bryce Norman all added hits for the Eagles. Chandler Harrell recorded 11 strikeouts and earned the win on the mound.
Wayne Christian plays Greenfield in the Charger Diamond Classic on April 12. Wayne Country Day is playing host to the two-day, four-team event.
Rosewood 3, Dixon 2
* Rosewood extended its modest win streak to two games with a 3-2, non-conference triumph over Dixon on Thursday afternoon.
Details were not reported to the News-Argus. The Eagles (3-10 overall) return to action in the Deacon Jones Invitational next week.
Rosewood d. Neuse Charter
* Rosewood remained unbeaten in 11 outings this season with a victory over future Carolina 1-A Conference opponent Neuse Charter.
Details were not reported to the News-Argus.
Neuse is joining the league in 2013.
Adams fires 75
* Nick Adams earned medalist honors with a 75 and Rosewood emerged victorious in a four-team, non-conference meet contested on a soggy Lane Tree Golf Club course Thursday afternoon.
Blake Weaver finished one stroke behind Adams and helped the Eagles card a four-player total of 321. Bret Robinson contributed an 80 and Austin Kriger fired a 92.
Battle Burnette posted an 18-hole round of 84 and led C.B. Aycock to a second-place finish at 351. Dylan Mitchell (86), Julian Billhardt (90) and Matt Ivey (91) completed the Golden Falcons' total.
Lukas O'Daniel emerged Goldsboro's low scorer with a 96. Carlin Thomas shot a 99. Luke McAlduff and Austin Howell provided rounds of 102 and 118 to complete the Cougars' team score of 405.
Hunt shot a 401.
Walnut Creek LGA
* Hiromi Sueki claimed low gross honors during weekly play on the Walnut Creek Country Club links.
Faye Franklin won low net.
Linda Cannon and Jewel Ivey shared low putts.
* Baseball: Wayne Christian 12, Neuse Christian 2 -- Cameron Foss and Tanner Rose combined to pitch six scoreless innings with 11 strikeouts for the Eagles. Hunter Burt, Bryce Norman and Tanner Rose each finished with two hits.
* Baseball: Wayne Country Day 4, Epiphany 3 -- Mitch Turnage, Jonathon Bryan, John Strickland and Lee McDonald each contributed a hit for the Chargers. Mason Bland earned the win on the mound. The victory was Wayne Country Day's first of the season in four tries.
* Baseball: Rosewood 1, Norwayne 0 -- Derek Neal raced home for the game-winning run on Kyler Bradley's squeeze bunt during their Wayne County Middle School Athletic Conference game. Neal doubled to lead off the seventh and Blake Dean moved him to third. Boone Moody threw a three-hit shutout and logged five strikeouts. The Eagles (11-2 overall, 5-2) travel to Spring Creek on April 19.
Other Local Sports
- Preps digest: Spring Creek softball prevails on road
- So. Wayne-W. Carteret box
- Saints' Wendorf strikes out 14
- Together again: Irby, McDuffie, White reunite at Pitt Community College
- Wilson breaks school record
- Trojan softball splits DH with Queens-Charlotte
- Miracle, Rivero pace MOC on volleyball court
- Moser throws shutout, Trojans complete sweep of Limestone
- ECU-Houston play to 4-4, 12-inning stalemate
- Errant throw aids Nash Central victory over Aycock