Urquiola shoots 2-over in opening round
By MOC Sports Information
Published in Sports on April 10, 2012 1:48 PM
Mount Olive College senior Valentina Urquiola carded a 2-over-par 74 and emerged the overall leader after day one of the 2012 MOC Spring Invitational at Walnut Creek Country Club.
Urquiola just missed matching the program's 18-hole record by one stroke when her 20-foot par putt just missed wide left of the cup on the par-5, No. 18. Teammates Emelie Anderson (82) and Emy Ohling (84) finished the round sixth and ninth, respectively.
The Trojan women posted a four-player total of 327, five strokes behind first-day leader Queens University-Charlotte. Coker (S.C.) College is third, followed by St. Andrews and Barton.
On the men's side, MOC senior Kyle Ham is tied for fifth overall after an opening-round 73. The Trojans and Queens share second place in the team standings at 303, five strokes behind Barton, which got a 4-under par 68 effort from overall leader Nicolas Fonseca.
Ham appeared headed for a 1-under-par round, but had putts lip out on each of the final two holes. Ham left himself a 10-foot downhill putt on the par-3 ninth -- his final hole of the day -- after a chip from 20 feet left of the green. Ham shot a 36 on the front nine and 37 on the back.
Dalton Gore added a 74 for the Trojans, which placed him among the top 10.
The 36-hole event concludes today.
Other Local Sports
- Potter's sacrifice fly lifts Rebels past Topsail
- Slow-starting Eagles fall to North Johnston
- Pitt County Classic boxscores
- Mount Olive Invitational golf
- MOC softball: Smith logs league-leading 10th shutout of season
- EW's Barnett flirts with no-hitter
- MOC Spring Invite scores
- C.B. Aycock shows grit against NW Guilford
- Preps digest: Faith Christian edges TEACH on softball diamond
- Saints drop outings to D.H. Conley and Whiteville