Local Preps Digest
By Andrew Stevens
Published in Sports on April 17, 2012 1:46 PM
Wayne Christian 15, Wayne Country Day 5
* Wayne Christian erupted for 10 runs in the seventh inning of a 15-5 win over Wayne Country Day on Monday afternoon.
Kelsey Kornegay led the Eagles with three hits. Wayne Christian (4-2, 1-1 CC) plays host to Cape Fear Christian on Thursday.
Faith Christian 10, Bethel Christian 9
* Faith Christian held off Bethel Christian for a 10-9 victory on Monday.
Michael Clarke led the Conquerors with four hits and three RBI. Wes Caudle supplied two hits and two RBI. Silas Denlinger added a hit an an RBI.
Clarke earned the win on the mound and allowed five runs on five hits with six strikeouts and a walk in three innings of work. Brandon Jones pitched four innings of relief to pick up the save.
Faith (11-2) plays host to Cornerstone Christian on April 24.
Eastern Wayne 9, Southern Wayne 0
* DUDLEY -- Eastern Wayne remained undefeated with a decisive 9-0 victory on Monday at Southern Wayne.
Chaz Fitzpatrick, Russell Turner, Steven Taylor, Mitchell Kaspar, Sawyer Thompson and Cole Newsome each recorded a victory in singles play.
The doubles teams of Fitzpatrick-Turner, Kaspar-Thompson and Taylor-Newsome also prevailed.
The Warriors (15-0, 11-0 ECC) entertain Charles B. Aycock on Wednesday.
C.B. Aycock 7, Cleveland 2
* PIKEVILLE -- Charles B. Aycock stayed in the thick of the Eastern Carolina 3-A Conference race with a 7-2 win over visiting Cleveland on Monday afternoon.
Michael Kearney, Addison Vail, Austin Walker, Chas Hooks and Sam Chastain each earned a singles win for the Golden Falcons. The tandems of Vail-Walker and Hooks-Chastain were victorious in doubles play. C.B. Aycock improved to 15-3 overall.
Wayne Christian 7, Greenfield 2
* Wayne Christian won five of six singles matches on its way to a 7-2 win over Greenfield on Monday afternoon at Wayne Community College.
Daniel Glover, Christopher Easom, Matthew Jackson, Hunter Timmerman and Grahm Fussell all recorded a singles win for the Eagles. Easom improved to 9-0 this season. The doubles teams of Glover-Easom, Jackson-Timmerman also won.
Eagles dominate field
* AYDEN -- Rosewood's Andrew Henn earned medalist honors with a round of 73 and the Eagles compiled a team score of 313 in a Carolina 1-A Conference match on Monday afternoon.
Rosewood's Nick Adams shot a 75 and Blake Weaver carded a 76. Chas Verceles Zara added an 89 and Bret Robinson finished with a 97.
Princeton finished second in the team scoring with a score of 369. Ryne Woodard paced the Bulldogs and Joel Hines shot a 91. Leith Puckett (93), James Boring (95) and Cody Price (101) also competed for Princeton.
North Duplin recorded a score of 391. Ryan Hines led the Rebels with a round of 90 followed by William Rivenbark's 98. Adam Kornegay added a 99 and Steven Duprey (104) finished out North Duplin's scoring.
Goldsboro finished third with a score of 398. Anthony Hooks led the Cougars with a score of 93. Matt Hall contributed a round of 95. Carlin Thomas supplied a score of 98.
The Carolina 1-A Conference is back in action on Thursday at Southern Wayne Country Club.
Lane Tree LGA
* Teresa Shearin won low gross (78) and game of the week during weekly play at Lane Tree Golf Club. Barbara Hill captured low net and Linda Watson claimed low putts.
Lane Tree's Cathy Garris seized first low gross at Brook Valley Country Club. Linda Watson earned first low net in the first flight. Mary Ann Sutton took home second low gross and second low net in the second flight. In the third flight, Sherry Minner recorded first low gross and Elleen Henderson collected second low net.
* Softball: Princeton 22, Selma 0 -- Kasey Johnson earned the win inside the pitcher's circle for the Bulldogs. Princeton (9-1) plays host to Benson on Thursday.