Local Preps Digest
By From staff reports
Published in Sports on April 18, 2012 1:48 PM
C.B. Aycock 5, North Lenoir 3
* PIKEVILLE -- Charles B. Aycock dealt North Lenoir's Eastern Carolina 3-A Conference title hopes a hit by defeating the Hawks 5-3 on Tuesday night.
Avery Anderson paced the Golden Falcons with two hits. Blake Sutton, Cameron Taylor, Collin DuBose and Logan Brown each had a hit and an RBI.
Adam Pate collected the win on the mound in relief of starting pitcher Bryant Stafford. Pate surrendered two runs (one earned) on four hits in 4 2/3 innings of relief.
Addison Harper led the North Lenoir with two hits. Zach Casper, Caleb Baird and Mikal Batts each supplied a hit. Landon Letchworth endured the loss on the mound allowing 5 runs (one earned) on four hits with two strikeouts and five walks in 4 2/3 innings.
The Hawks (10-3 overall, 6-3 ECC) visit Eastern Wayne today, while Charles B. Aycock (11-7, 5-4) concludes a suspended game with Rosewood.
Southern Wayne 2, Triton 1
* DUDLEY -- Keith Jones drove in Thomas Kelly to score the game-winning run on a fielder's choice groundout in the bottom of the seventh inning and Southern Wayne slipped past Triton 2-1 on Tuesday night.
The Hawks took a 1-0 lead in the top of the sixth inning before the Saints rallied to tie the score at 1-1 in the bottom of the sixth. Taylor Raynor ignited the Saints' rally in the seventh inning with a hit.
Tyler Gainey led Southern Wayne with two hits. Taylor Brock (RBI) and Jamie Dove each provided a hit.
Jeremy Taylor pitched a complete game to earn the win on the mound. Taylor surrendered one earned run on two hits with 10 strikeouts and four walks.
"Jeremy did a great job on the mound," Southern Wayne head coach Trae McKee said. "Once again he competed and gave us a chance to win."
The Saints (12-7 overall, 7-2 ECC) entertain Greene Central today.
Eastern Wayne 5, Cleveland 0
* CLAYTON -- Hunter Barnett pitched his second consecutive complete game and Eastern Wayne turned back Eastern Carolina 3-A Conference opponent Cleveland 5-0 on Tuesday night.
Barnett, who has verbally committed to play at Mount Olive College, allowed four hits, with three strikeouts and no walks. Tyler Huetter led the Warriors with three hits and two RBI. Josh Dixon provided two hits and an RBI. Jeremy Lancaster, Wes Stewart, Wes Capps, Nolan James and Barnett each had a single.
Eastern Wayne (12-4 overall, 8-1 ECC) plays host to North Lenoir today.
Wayne Country Day 11,
* Mason Bland's game-winning hit scored Hil Tanner to cap Wayne Country Day's dramatic 11-10 comeback win over Coastal Plains Independent 1-A Conference nemesis Greenfield on Tuesday afternoon.
The Chargers trailed 8-5 after three innings and pushed across three runs in the home half of the seventh inning.
Bland (four RBI) and Cody Neal (RBI) led Wayne Country Day with three hits apiece. Cole Davis had two hits, including a game-tying two-run home run in the seventh inning. Josh Jackson (RBI) and Tanner also both supplied two hits. John Strickland added a hit.
Neal earned the win on the mound in relief.
The Chargers (8-6 overall, 4-1 CPIC) have won six consecutive games and visit Oakwood on Thursday.
Wayne Christian 8, Trinity Christian 6
* Chandler Harrell recorded 14 strikeouts and Wayne Christian held off Trinity Christian of Fayetteville 8-6 on Tuesday evening.
Chandler Harrell, Ryan Cooke and Austin Howell paced the Eagles with two hits each. Hunter Burt contributed a double and Chase Darden, Chandler Gentry and Chandler Harrell each had a hit.
Wayne Christian (10-5 overall) plays host to Community Christian on Thursday.
Ayden-Grifton 11, Goldsboro 1
* LITTLEFIELD -- Jarod Howard banged out two hits, but Goldsboro High endured an 11-1, six-inning loss at Carolina 1-A Conference-leading Ayden-Grifton on Tuesday evening.
Isaiah Core (RBI), Zach Falconer, Ronald Woody and Kyle Kiker each contributed one hit.
Woody took the pitching loss.
Goldsboro entertains North Duplin on Thursday.
C.B. Aycock 9, North Lenoir 0
* PIKEVILLE -- Charles B. Aycock did all of its scoring in the fourth inning of a 9-0 Eastern Carolina 3-A Conference victory over North Lenoir on Tuesday night.
Reagan Herndon (two RBI) and Misty Edwards (RBI) each finished with three hits. Taylor Bradshaw provided two hits and two RBI. Breanna Brown and Connor Davis both collected a hit and an RBI. Brooke Bell added a double.
Bell picked up the win inside the pitcher's circle and allowed three hits with eight strikeouts and two walks in four innings of work.
The Golden Falcons (17-2 overall, 9-0 ECC) visit South Central today.
North Duplin 9, Spring Creek 8, (8 inn.)
* SEVEN SPRINGS -- North Duplin slipped past Spring Creek, 9-8, in eight innings on Tuesday night.
The Rebels pushed across six runs in the seventh inning before scoring the winning run in the eighth inning.
Alonna Pate led North Duplin with four hits. Skylar McCarty had two hits and Ansley Hill added a double. Hill earned the win in the pitcher's circle with 12 strikeouts.
Ayden-Grifton 16, Goldsboro 1
* AYDEN -- Goldsboro endured a 16-1 loss on Tuesday at Ayden-Grifton.
Talaya Lassiter contributed a hit and an RBI for the Cougars. Brandy Johnson scored Goldsboro's lone run and had two stolen bases.
The Cougars (2-9 overall, 0-5 CC) play host to North Duplin on Thursday.
C.B. Aycock 6, North Lenoir 0
* LaGRANGE -- Cheyenne Warrick scored three goals and handed out an assist, and Charles B. Aycock defeated North Lenoir 6-0 on Tuesday night.
Warrick scored in the 10th minute and struck again in the 21st minute as the Golden Falcons led 2-0 at halftime.
Warrick, Niki Fitzmorris, Samantha Parrish and Alex Strickland each scored in the second half. Fitzmorris, Parrish, Strickland, Warrick and Emily Borel each recorded an assist.
Alex Van Meir tallied two saves in goal and earned her sixth shutout of the season.
Aycock (12-3 overall, 9-0 ECC) travels to South Johnston on Thursday.
Wayne Country Day 2, Epiphany 1
* Wayne Country Day won its sixth consecutive game with a 2-1 victory over Coastal Plains Independent 1-A rival Epiphany on Tuesday.
Catherine Ford gave the Chargers a 1-0 lead in the fourth minute off Sarah Best's assist. Best scored three minutes later off Ford's assist.
Wayne Country Day (8-4-0 overall) visits Greenfield today.
* Softball: Spring Creek 7, Mount Olive 3 -- Diamond Worthy delivered an inside-the-park home run for the Gators. Ashley Marriner earned the win inside the pitcher's circle.
* Baseball: Wayne Christian 12, Raleigh Hawks 0 -- Chandler Gentry tallied two hits and four RBI for the Eagles. Gentry also earned the win on the mound. Wayne Christian (6-2) visits Community Christian on Friday.
Other Local Sports
- Eagles escape Cyclones in seventh
- Rosewood-Goldsboro tennis box
- No. 3 doubles lifts Rosewood
- Prep baseball boxes
- Trojans' Kylis named Conference Carolinas' top coach
- Local Preps Digest
- Local digest
- Prep baseball boxscore
- Eastern Wayne baseball beats NL
- MOC softball ready for Conference Carolinas tourney