By From staff reports
Published in Sports on April 21, 2012 11:20 PM
Greene Central 15,
Kinston 2 (5 inn.)
* KINSTON -- Greene Central inched toward the .500 mark in Eastern Plains 2-A Conference play with a 15-2, mercy-rule victory over Kinston on Friday evening.
Brian Cobb, Mason Head (three RBI) and Brandon Bishop (two RBI) provided three hits apiece for the Rams, who rose to 4-5 against EPC opposition this season. Bishop doubled twice in four official plate appearances.
Rider McLawhorn emerged the winning pitcher. He surrendered two earned runs on six hits, fanned six Kinston batters and walked one in five innings on the rubber.
The Rams (7-12 overall) travel to SouthWest Edgecombe on Tuesday.
Southern Wayne 4
* CLAYTON -- Cleveland capitalized on three bases-loaded walks and a balk, and stunned Southern Wayne, 6-4, in an Eastern Carolina 3-A Conference game Friday evening.
Saints pitchers Cody Wendorf and Jackson Hayes combined for nine strikeouts, but also issued eight walks to the Rams. Cleveland scored three runs on two walks in the third inning, and one walk in the sixth. A balk led to another run in the sixth.
Wendorf and Hayes combined on a five-hitter.
Tyler Gainey paced the Saints' offense with two hits and an RBI. Keith Jones (RBI), Taylor Brock, Jacob Sasser (RBI) and Taylor Raynor provided one hit apiece.
Southern Wayne (12-8 overall, 7-3 ECC) entertains Wilson Hunt on Monday.
Other Local Sports
- Local Preps Digest
- Chargers earn share of CPIC lead
- Prep baseball boxes
- Trojan netters seeded eighth in men's Southeast Regional
- Trojan men sign five quality recruits to join elite program
- Eastern Wayne turns back Archrival
- Golden Falcons win second straight ECC crown
- Carolina 1A tennis agate
- EAGLES SWEEP LEAGUE CROWNS
- Tuesday preps