By Ryan Hanchett
Published in Sports on April 24, 2012 1:48 PM
Rosewood 8, Southern Wayne 6
* Rosewood built an early 5-0 lead and held on for an 8-6 win over Southern Wayne on Monday night.
Callie Thornton earned the win in the pitcher's circle for the Eagles with four innings of work. Amanda Beckert notched the save.
Laura Vinson led the Rosewood offense with two hits and three runs scored. Thornton and Anna Ingram each added three hits in the win.
Rosewood (13-2 overall) travels to Goldsboro tonight, while Southern Wayne (3-16) plays host to Eastern Wayne this evening.
North Lenoir 10, Spring Creek 5
* LaGRANGE -- North Lenoir stepped out of conference play and earned a 10-5, non-conference win over Spring Creek on Monday afternoon.
Chastin Radford and Mikal Batts combined for five hits and five RBI. Radford delivered the big blow of the game with a three-run home run that put the Hawks ahead for good.
Zach Casper collected the mound win. Casper allowed three runs over five innings.
Corey Howell, Zach Harrell and Duane Gurganus each finished with two hits for the Gators.
North Lenoir (12-5) plays host to South Johnston tonight, while Spring Creek (12-7) is the guest of Ayden-Grifton tonight.
Southern Wayne 11,
Wilson Hunt 10, 10 innings
* DUDLEY -- Southern Wayne got a sacrifice fly from Taylor Brock in the bottom of the 10th inning and rallied for an 11-10 win over Wilson Hunt on Monday night.
Jaime Dove led the Saints with three hits including a home run and three RBI. Sam Farrell, Clayton Cashwell and Tyler Gainey each added two hits in the win.
Jacob Sasser tossed two innings of scoreless relief to pick up the mound win.
Southern Wayne (13-8 overall) entertains archrival Eastern Wayne tonight.
Lane Tree LGA
* Linda Watson claimed game-of-the-week honors at Lane Tree Golf Club.
Mary Ann Sutton and Betty Jean Gurley seized low net and low putts, respectively. Linda Watson and Cathy Garris tied for low gross.
* Softball: Princeton 7, North Johnston 6 -- Kortney Edwards delivered the game-winning hit in the bottom of the seventh inning as Princeton downed North Johnston on Monday. Kasey Johnson, Taylor Carroll, Kelsey Peedin and Hailey Wood each finished with three hits in the win. Wood earned the win in the pitcher's circle.
Other Local Sports
- Local digest
- MOC prepared for Conference Carolinas tourney
- Carolina 1-A track results
- Rosewood girls roll at Carolina 1-A track
- Rosewood boys win Carolina 1-A track meet
- Local Preps Digest
- Chargers earn share of CPIC lead
- Prep baseball boxes
- Trojan netters seeded eighth in men's Southeast Regional
- Trojan men sign five quality recruits to join elite program