Local Preps Digest
By Andrew Stevens
Published in Sports on April 27, 2012 1:48 PM
C.B. Aycock 3, Eastern Wayne 0
* Brooke Bell and Meredith Burroughs combined to throw a no-hitter and Charles B. Aycock defeated Eastern Wayne 3-0 on Thursday evening.
The Golden Falcons (21-2 overall) fashioned a perfect worksheet (12-0) against Eastern Carolina 3-A Conference opposition this season, and earned an opening-round bye in next week's conference tournament.
Bell pitched four scoreless innings with eight strikeouts and no walks. Burroughs worked the final three innings and surrendered just two walks with one strikeout.
Rachel Jordan (RBI), Connor Davis (RBI), Ivy Hartzell, Breanna Brown and Misty Edwards each had a hit for the Golden Falcons.
Allison Newsome endured the pitching loss for the Warriors.
Princeton 17, Goldsboro 2 (5 inn.)
* PRINCETON -- Princeton turned back Carolina 1-A Conference opponent Goldsboro 17-2 in five innings on Thursday.
Talaya Lassiter provided a hit and scored a run for the Cougars. Taylor Marowski also scored a run.
Princeton (12-6 overall, 7-1 CC) travels to Ayden-Grifton on Tuesday, while Goldsboro (2-11, 0-7) visits Spring Creek the same day.
Southern Wayne 9, South Johnston 2
* DUDLEY -- Southern Wayne concluded its regular season with a 9-2 victory over Eastern Carolina 3-A Conference foe South Johnston on Thursday night.
Taylor Brock led the Saints (14-9 overall, 8-4 ECC) with two hits, and three RBI, including a three-run home run in the first inning. Tyler Gainey (two RBI), Keith Jones (RBI), Colton Chrisman (RBI), Jamie Dove (RBI), Taylor Raynor and Ashton Cox all supplied a hit.
Jamar Holmes allowed two unearned runs on five hits with three strikeouts in five innings to pick up the win on the mound. Jackson Hayes recorded five strikeouts in two scoreless innings of relief.
TEACH 13, Faith Christian 3
* Faith Christian endured a 13-3 non-conference loss to TEACH on Thursday.
Dillon Floars (two RBI) and Levi Wise both had a hit for the Conquerors.
Wise suffered the loss on the mound.
Faith (11-4 overall) continues non-conference play today at home against Wayne Country Day.
Princeton 5, Goldsboro 2
* PRINCETON -- Princeton got its offense going early in a 5-2 win over Carolina 1-A Conference opponent Goldsboro.
Ashley Jacobs scored two goals for the Bulldogs. Jessica Brush, Kassandra Bautista and Jenna Woodard each scored. Woodard handed out two assists and Brush had one assist. Amber Hill made 14 saves in goal.
Princeton (10-6-1 overall, 3-1 CC) plays host to Rocky Mount Prep today.
Walnut Creek LGA
Hiromi Sueki was the low gross winner during weekly play at Walnut Creek Country Club. Linda Cannon and Mary Morris secured low net and low putts, respectively.
Jewel Ivey emerged the low gross winner on April 17. Sueki and Dot Julian claimed low net and low putts, respectively.
* Baseball: C.B. Aycock 12, Greene Central 0 (5 inn.) -- Lloyd Lowe led the Golden Falcons with two hits. Garrett Joyner, Collin Hinnant, Timothy Naughton, Noah West, Charlie Robertson, Braxton Leeper and Trent Herndon each had a hit. Robertson pitched four scoreless innings for the win.
* Softball: Princeton 10, Meadow 2 -- Hailey Wood led the Bulldogs with four hits. Natalie Smith and Kortney Edwards both contributed three hits. Beth Braswell, Kasey Johnson and Kelsey Peedin each had two hits. Taylor Carroll, Nevada Johnson and Lakyn Whitley all provided a hit. Kasey Johnson earned the win in the pitcher's circle. The Bulldogs (11-1) entertain Four Oaks on Monday.