Local Preps Digest
By From staff reports
Published in Sports on April 29, 2012 1:52 AM
Faith Christian 8,
Wayne Country Day 7 (8 inn.)
* Senior Michael Clarke drove in the game-winning run in the bottom of the eighth inning, and Faith Christian upended Wayne Country Day, 8-7, on Friday afternoon.
The teams split their regular-season series.
Clarke batted 2-for-5 and drove in four runs for the Conquerors, who snapped the Chargers' eight-game win streak. Brandon Jones (RBI) provided two hits, while senior catcher Silas Denlinger contributed one hit, an RBI and scored two runs.
Jones claimed the mound win in relief of Clarke. He permitted one hit, walked three and struck out two in three innings of work. Clarke yielded three hits, walked five and struck out two.
Faith scored fours in the seventh and eighth innings combined.
Senior shortstop Cole Davis homered, doubled and collected four RBI for Wayne Country Day. Josh Jackson added a hit and two RBI. Jacob Parks recorded one hit and an RBI.
Senior Hil Tanner started and threw the first two innings on the mound. Thomas Kierski provided middle-inning relief and Davis suffered the hard-luck loss with a four-inning stint.
The Conquerors (12-4 overall) conclude regular-season play at home Monday against Trinity Christian-Greenville in the N.C. Christian Schools Association 2-A Coastal region regular-season finale for both teams. Faith is 7-0 in region play this season.
WCDS (11-7) entertains The Epiphany School in a Coastal Plains Independent 1-A Conference game Tuesday. The Chargers will recognize their seniors prior to the first pitch.
Greene Central 5,
Farmville Central 4
* SNOW HILL -- Gunner Tyndall smashed the game-winning hit in the bottom of the seventh inning, and Greene Central dumped Eastern Plains 2-A rival Farmville Central, 5-4, on the James R. Fulghum Athletic Complex diamond Friday evening.
It was Tyndall's lone hit of the game.
Ben Brann and Austin Batchelor led the Rams' offense with two hits apiece. Ryan Cobb tripled in four at-bats, while Tucker Jones (RBI) doubled in four official plate appearances.
Cobb claimed the mound win.
Greene Central (9-12 overall, 6-5 EPC) travels to North Pitt on Tuesday.
Faith Christian 7,
Liberty Christian 3
* Abigail Pearce emerged the winning pitcher and Faith Christian turned back Liberty Christian, 7-3, on Friday afternoon.
Pearce permitted eight hits in a complete-game effort.
Hannah Stocks and Brianna Champion paced the Conquerors' offense with two hits apiece.
Faith Christian (8-3 overall) concludes regular-season play at home Monday against Trinity Christian-Greenville in a N.C. Christian Schools Association 2-A Coastal region battle.
North Duplin 3-1,
* CALYPSO -- Pitcher Ansley Hill threw a complete-game three-hitter inside the pitcher's circle, and North Duplin took the opening contest, 3-1, of a doubleheader against Carolina 1-A Conference foe Ayden-Grifton on Friday afternoon.
The Chargers won the nightcap, 3-1.
Hill walked one and struck out one.
Skylar McCarty, Courtney Bennett, Kayla Alphin and Hill each had one hit.
In game two, McCarty and Hill shared the pitching duties. Hill allowed three hits in 2 2/3 innings, while McCarty supplied 1 1/3 innings of one-strikeout relief.
McCarty, Hill and Casey Thornton had one hit apiece.
North Duplin (9-7 overall, 4-3 CC) travels to Rosewood on Tuesday.
Wayne Country Day 2, Faith-Rocky Mount 1
* ROCKY MOUNT -- Junior Sarah Best notched the game-winning goal in the 36th minute, and Wayne Country Day nipped Faith Christian of Rocky Mount, 2-1, in their Coastal Plains Independent 1-A Conference game Friday afternoon.
Best opened the scoring in the 27th minute on an assist from senior Catherine Ford. The Patriots answered in the 33rd minute on Theresa Hall's free kick.
Ford assisted Best on the game-winning goal three minutes later.
"Both teams had chances in the second half, but neither could find the back of the net," WCDS head coach Paul Casey said.
The Chargers (10-5-0 overall, 5-2-0 CPIC) entertain the Pope John Paul II Catholic School on Tuesday afternoon.
* Baseball: C.B. Aycock 12, Eastern Wayne 3 -- Charles B. Aycock polished off its Eastern Carolina 3-A Conference regular-season championship with a thrashing of its county rival. Jake Naughton paced the Golden Falcons' offense with three hits, including two doubles; three RBI and three runs scored. Tim Naughton (RBI) and Logan Runyon (RBI) cranked out two hits apiece. Noah West, Ryan Davis (two RBI), Hank Smitherman, Garrett Joyner (RBI) and Ben Rouse (RBI) each provided one hit. Runyon emerged the winning pitcher, striking out three Warriors in a five-inning stint. Tim Naughton and West each tossed one inning. Aycock, directed by head coach Nelson Cunningham, concluded the year 20-2 overall and 10-2 against ECC opposition.
Other Local Sports
- Local Preps Digest
- So. Wayne eliminates Triton, 5-1
- South Johnston shocks C.B. Aycock
- prep baseball boxes
- MOC adds sixth player
- E. Wayne-No. Nash tennis box
- Fighting Knights knock out EW
- Stevens: Reynell's actions, not words led to trust among players
- Mount Olive falls to Wingate in Southest tennis regional
- MOC-Erskine box