Hamilton named ECC track MVP
By From staff reports
Published in Sports on May 4, 2012 1:48 PM
FOUR OAKS -- Southern Wayne junior Jane Hamilton emerged victorious in two sprint events and claimed Most Valuable Player honors during the season-ending, Eastern Carolina 3-A Conference women's track and field championships contested at South Johnston High School.
Hamilton won the 100- and 200-meter dashes, and ran the anchor leg on the gold medal-winning 400-meter relay. She was joined by Keajah Wilson, Latrecia Johnson and Deborrah Bennett. The foursome ran a time of 51.6 seconds.
Charles B. Aycock had three individual champions -- Emily Martin (discus), Jade Creel (high jump) and Katie Johnson (800 run).
Eastern Wayne's Ra'juana Boyette captured ECC titles in the long jump and triple. Teammate Ashley Ames won the 3,200 run.
On the boys' side, Aycock's Cade Ivey and Austin Snowden each picked up an ECC championship. Snowden topped the competition with a 43.2-second run in the 300 hurdles. Ivey won the 800 run in 2:06.6.
North Lenoir had three individual winners -- Billy Summers (shot put), Martin Brazwell (discus) and Doerico Sutton (triple jump, high jump).
South Johnston swept the team titles.
Other Local Sports
- WCDS rolls past Ridgecroft
- WCDS-Greenfield baseball game suspended
- Epiphany shuts out WCDS on soccer pitch
- Wayne Christian-Grace Sanford box
- Spring Creek locks up No. 2 seed from Carolina Conference
- Smith gets natural hat trick in Rosewood-Princeton: Part III
- Freshman "Brush"es aside archrival
- Friday's prep baseball boxes
- Rebels roll past Gators on softball diamond
- Williams likes Sandhill's up-tempo style of play