Local Preps Digest
By From staff reports
Published in Sports on May 4, 2012 1:48 PM
C.B. Aycock 7, Triton 0
* PIKEVILLE -- Top-seeded Charles B. Aycock won its 19th consecutive game and advanced to the Eastern Carolina 3-A Conference tournament finals with a 7-0 win over Triton on Thursday night.
The Golden Falcons (22-2 overall) play host to South Johnston in Monday night's finals.
Brooke Bell pitched five scoreless innings to earn the win and surrendered just two hits and one walk with 10 strikeouts. Bell improved to 13-2 this season. Meredith Burroughs and Savannah Briggs each pitched an inning of scoreless relief with one strikeout apiece.
Rachel Jordan led the Golden Falcons with three hits. Connor Davis (RBI) and Ivy Hartzell both supplied two hits. Meredith Burroughs hit a grand-slam and Katie Gay (two RBI), Lindsey Sutton and Misty Edwards each had a hit.
Community Christian 9,
Wayne Christian 4
* Wayne Christian concluded its season with a 9-4 loss to Community Christian on Thursday in the semifinals of the Carolina Christian 1-A Conference tournament.
Courtney Barrow led the Eagles (5-5 overall) with three hits, including two triples. Kelsey Kornegay and Holly Gurley each added a hit. Kornegay pitched a complete game and endured the loss.
Rosewood 3, Princeton 2
* Rosewood slipped past Carolina 1-A Conference rival Princeton 3-2 on Thursday night.
Will Winslow contributed three hits, including a double and a solo home run for the Eagles. Reed Howell supplied three hits and John Winslow had two hits.
Jordan Gurley earned the win on the mound and Reed Howell collected the save.
Goldsboro 10, Spring Creek 1
* Dorian Wences collected four goals and dished out an assist during Goldsboro's 10-1 triumph over Spring Creek in the Carolina 1-A Conference regular-season finale for both teams.
Holly Pittard contributed three goals and one assist for the Cougars, who finished the year 4-7-2 overall and 2-4-0 against Carolina opposition. Ana Harris provided two goals and one assist.
Maddie Vera punched in a goal. Morgan McLaughlin had one assist.
Alyssa Borja supplied the Gators' lone goal.
* Baseball: Rosewood 11, Princeton 1 (5 inn.) -- The Eagles' Anthony McKinney tossed a no-hitter with four strikeouts, two walks and two hit batsmen.
Other Local Sports
- WCDS rolls past Ridgecroft
- WCDS-Greenfield baseball game suspended
- Epiphany shuts out WCDS on soccer pitch
- Wayne Christian-Grace Sanford box
- Spring Creek locks up No. 2 seed from Carolina Conference
- Smith gets natural hat trick in Rosewood-Princeton: Part III
- Freshman "Brush"es aside archrival
- Friday's prep baseball boxes
- Rebels roll past Gators on softball diamond
- Williams likes Sandhill's up-tempo style of play