05/05/12 — Aycock girls' soccer drops stunning loss to Cleveland

View Archive

Aycock girls' soccer drops stunning loss to Cleveland

By Andrew Stevens
Published in Sports on May 5, 2012 11:15 PM

PIKEVILLE -- Friday night's Eastern Carolina 3-A Conference girl's soccer tournament finals was supposed to be a culmination of Charles B. Aycock's season-long domination of its league opponents.

Instead, it was an excruciating sequel to an all-too-familiar horror movie for the Golden Falcons. Emily Truelove and Courtney Morris both scored a pair of goals and second-seeded Cleveland stunned top-seeded Aycock 4-1 at Hardy Talton Stadium.

The game was called with fewer than 20 minutes remaining in the second half due to threatening weather.

The Golden Falcons had their 13-game winning streak snapped and lost in the ECC tournament finals for the second consecutive year. Aycock (16-4-0) has not won the ECC tournament since winning 2-1 at Eastern Wayne in 2006. The Golden Falcons entered the game having scored 110 goals this season and were held to one goal or less for just the fourth time.

Cheyenne Warrick scored Aycock's lone goal off Emily Borel's assist in the 20th minute.

Midway through the first half, the Golden Falcons' lost senior midfielder Samantha Parrish to what assistant coach Byron Adkins described as "a broken wrist."

With Parrish out of the game, the Rams (18-3-0) controlled the midfield and pressured the Golden Falcons' defense. Monique Torres' shot in the 26th minute was saved by Aycock keeper Alex Van-Meir. Truelove caught Van-Meir out of the goal in the 30th minute and scored to tie the game at 1-1.

"Our effort was terrible tonight" Adkins said. "It was completely and utterly heartless, effortless and gutless. The first 25 minutes I thought we played well. We should have maybe been up a couple of goals. Losing Sam in the middle was huge for us. That just shows how important she is us to us. When she's not in there we just don't play as well."

Warrick just missed tying the game in the 27th minute as her shot clanged off the post. Three minutes later, Truelove put Cleveland in front for good at 2-1. Van-Meir's sprawling save on Torres in the 34th minute kept the Golden Falcons within 2-1.

Warrick appeared to tie the game at 2-2 in the opening minute of the second half only to have her goal waived off on an offsides call.

Morris increased Cleveland's lead to 3-1 in the 52nd minute with a shot that deflected off Van-Meir's fingertips and into the goal. Morris capped the Rams' scoring a minute later.

Aycock was held to two shots on goal in the second half and Van-Meir finished with five saves.

Next week, Aycock begins its quest for its first state playoff victory since 2004 when it defeated J.H. Webb. The Golden Falcons' opponent and the date of the game have yet to be determined.

"We're going to have to work on some things," Adkins said. "We've got a lot of injuries and it looks like we've got a lot of team issues going on which I'm going to have to address. We'll try to put it behind us and get a win."