Clark's bunt single saves Pirates' senior day
By Rudy Coggins
Published in Sports on May 5, 2012 11:15 PM
ECU Sports Information
GREENVILLE -- Philip Clark delivered the game-winning single in the bottom of the 10th inning, lifting East Carolina past Marshall, 8-7, in Conference USA play Saturday afternoon.
Catcher Zach Wright, a Charles B. Aycock alum, got hit by a pitch to start the inning. Wright moved into scoring position on Drew Reynolds' sacrifice bunt and took third on Chase McDonald's groundout to second.
Clark connected on a bunt single down the third-base line, giving the Pirates (30-16-1 overall, 12-7-1 CUSA) their third walk-off victory of the season. ECU won in its final at-bat for the fourth time this season.
Tanner Merritt (3-4) earned the win for the Pirates. The red-shirt sophomore allowed two earned runs on three hits, walked two and struck out two in the final 2 2/3 innings of work.
Tim Younger, Jack Reinheimer and Clark each notched multiple-hit performances for East Carolina. Wright added one hit on senior day at Lewis Field inside Clark-LeClair Stadium.
The series concludes today. First pitch is 1 p.m.
Other Local Sports
- WCDS rolls past Ridgecroft
- WCDS-Greenfield baseball game suspended
- Epiphany shuts out WCDS on soccer pitch
- Wayne Christian-Grace Sanford box
- Spring Creek locks up No. 2 seed from Carolina Conference
- Smith gets natural hat trick in Rosewood-Princeton: Part III
- Freshman "Brush"es aside archrival
- Friday's prep baseball boxes
- Rebels roll past Gators on softball diamond
- Williams likes Sandhill's up-tempo style of play