Eagles' Adams places third in 1-A
By From staff reports
Published in Sports on May 16, 2012 1:48 PM
The Associated Press
BUIES CREEK -- Rosewood's Nick Adams shot a second-day 5-under par 67 and finished third overall during the season-ending, N.C. High School Athletic Association Class 1-A men's golf championships.
Adams compiled a two-day, 36-hole score of 141 on the Keith Hills Country Club links. The sophomore matched the opening-day score shot by Bishop McGuinness' William Whitacre, who finished one stroke behind teammate Stanhope Johnson, 139-140, in the individual title chase.
"Nick is excited about the finish, but it's so close that it took the bite off it a little bit," Rosewood head coach Daniel Baynes said. "We had a good season and it fell a little bit short of expectations, but that's all right. We improved our standing in the state (tournament) in two ways and that's not bad at all."
Adams earned all-state honors.
The Eagles, the two-time eastern regional champions, ended up eighth overall with a two-day total of 668. Bishop McGuiness repeated as state champion with a whopping 52-stroke victory over runner-up Lake Norman Charter.
Blake Weaver complemented Adams with a 36-hole effort of 161. Bret Robinson contributed a 178. Jaz Verceles-Zara completed the team score with a 190. Andrew Henn and Austin Kriger also tackled the par-72, 6,625-yard layout.
Best moves up
* FOXFIRE VILLAGE -- Southern Wayne's Kyle Best posted a second-day score of 76 and ended up with a 36-hole round of 157 during the NCHSAA 3-A men's golf championships contested at Foxfire Resort and Club.
Best tied with Patton's Bradley Reep for 24th overall.
Walnut Creek LGA
* Linda Cannon claimed low gross in fourth-flight play and Jewel Ivey emerged the closest-to-the-pin prize winner on hole No. 9 during the eighth annual Walnut Creek Ladies Invitational.
Nearly 80 participants from eastern North Carolina competed in the day-long event contested at Walnut Creek Country Club.
Cannon claimed closest-to-the-pin on hole No. 3 on Monday, low putts in third flight and the award for perfect attendance in the East Carolina Ladies Golf Associaition during the two-day ECLGA finals played at Southern Wayne Country Club.
Faye Franklin was closest-to-the-pin on No. 3 during Tuesday's play and took second gross in third flight. Hiromi Sueki picked up the closest-to-the-pin prize on No. 16 during Tuesday's round, and captured second net in the Championship flight.
Evelyn Rose won second net in third flight. Betty Holloway was the first net winner in fourth flight, while Dot Julian secured second net in fourth flight.
Other Local Sports
- Escalante, Rogers get region POY accolades
- Long day ahead at Southeast Regional
- Where there's a Will -- Bynum carves spot in starting lineup
- Coach's doubts erased once players find their groove
- Dillon, Moser, Smith --Trio has emerged as Trojans' pitching leaders
- Trojans' 'Hit' Man: Escalante takes 44-game hit streak into Southeast Regional
- Chargers' turnaround started after late-March loss
- Local Preps Digest
- Davis swats walk-off home run ... again
- Fike-Aycock softball box