Aycock baseball, softball advance
By From staff reports
Published in Sports on May 20, 2012 1:52 AM
C.B. Aycock 9,
Currituck County 4
* BARCO -- Collin DuBose mashed a second-inning, solo home run and Charles B. Aycock handed Currituck County a season-ending, 9-4 loss during third-round action in the N.C. High School Athletic Association 3-A playoffs Friday evening.
The Golden Falcons (18-8 overall) continue play Tuesday at Waccamaw champion West Brunswick. First pitch is 7 p.m.
DuBose doubled and drove in two runs for the Golden Falcons, who managed just five hits and capitalized on seven Knights errors. Cameron Taylor and Bryant Stafford provided one hit and one RBI apiece.
Adam Pate collected the win on the mound. The junior permitted four runs (three earned) on eight hits, walked two and struck out six in a complete-game effort.
Aycock advanced to the fourth round of the playoffs for the first time since 2007 when it claimed the state 3-A title.
C.B. Aycock 3,
D.H. Conley 0
* GREENVILLE -- Reagan Herndon provided a two-run single in the third inning and Charles B. Aycock defeated defending state champion D.H. Conley 3-0 on Saturday night in the third round of the N.C. High School Athletic Association 3-A state playoffs.
The Golden Falcons (26-2) entertain Havelock (22-4) on Tuesday night.
Cierra Harris and Katie Gay each had one of the Golden Falcons' three hits. Brooke Bell pitched a complete game and surrendered just two hits with five strikeouts and two walks to earn the win.
Other Local Sports
- CBA baseball ready for regional battle
- C.B. Aycock-Havelock softball box
- C.B. Aycock softball defeats Havelock
- Chargers' athletes recognized
- Eagles' historic run concludes
- Rosewood-Hobbton box
- Follow News-Argus Sports on Twitter
- CBA-W. Brunswick box
- Golden Falcons rally in seventh
- Stevens: May, Wise inspired respective teammates entire baseball season