Junior Legion: Wayne North edges Aycock, 4-3
By From staff reports
Published in Sports on June 7, 2012 1:48 PM
vs. Wayne North
* PIKEVILLE -- Eastern Wayne scratched out the game-winning run in the top of the seventh inning and held off Charles B. Aycock, 4-3, in a Junior American Legion baseball contest Wednesday evening.
The teams conclude their three-game series today in New Hope. First pitch is 7 p.m.
Noah West led Aycock's cause with three hits. Hank Smitherman provided two hits and two RBI. Garrett Joyner, Bobby Hampton and Connor Crandall supplied one hit apiece.
Hampton allowed one earned run on one hit and fanned seven Eastern Wayne batters in a four-inning stint. Reliever Logan Runyon suffered the hard-luck loss with three innings of four-run, four-hit relief.
Eastern Wayne overcame five errors.
Aycock fell to 2-4 overall this season.
Other Local Sports
- Spring Creek's Ramfjord resigns varsity girls' basketball post
- All-Area Baseball: Saints' Taylor named top pitcher by peers
- All-Area Baseball: Warriors' Barnett cops Player of the Year honors
- All-Area Baseball: Aycock's Davis named Coach of the Year
- Wilmington Post 10 hands Post 11 embarassing home loss
- Aycock spring athletes receive awards
- Post 11-Wilmington Post 10 box
- CBA Junior Legion salvages series against Wayne North
- CBA-Wayne North box
- Wayne South still going through learning curve