Junior Legion: Aycock beats Wayne South, Wayne West turns back Wilson
By From staff reports
Published in Sports on June 25, 2012 1:48 PM
C.B. Aycock 9, So. Wayne 2
* PIKEVILLE -- Logan Runyon and Kyle Davis combined for a two-hitter during Charles B. Aycock's 9-2 victory over Southern Wayne in a Junior American Legion contest Sunday afternoon.
Runyon permitted two earned runs on two hits and struck out six in six innings of work. Davis threw a perfect seventh that included two strikeouts.
Aycock pounded out 11 hits on the day, including a 3-for-4, two-RBI performance from Jacob Naughton. Noah West (RBI), Conner Crandall and Garrett Joyner (RBI) provided two hits apiece.
Hank Smitherman and Tim Naughton each had one hit. Caleb Smith supplied an RBI.
The teams play again today in Dudley. First pitch is 6 p.m. at the Doyle Whitfield Athletic Complex.
Wayne West 5, Wilson 3
* WILSON -- Wayne West plated three sixth-inning runs and handed Wilson a 5-3 loss in Junior American Legion play Saturday evening.
Reed Howell reached on an error to start the game-changing uprising. Tanner Bradley walked and after Boone Moody's sacrifice hit moved runners into scoring position, pinch-hitter Kahlil Warren tripled into left center field. Warren scored on Bryce McKeel's infield grounder.
Jordan Gurley's one-out RBI single gave West an insurance run in the seventh. Gurley threw a complete-game five-hitter on the mound, striking out seven and allowing two earned runs.
John Winslow led West with three hits, including two doubles.
The teams meet again today at Rosewood High School. First pitch is 7 p.m.
Other Local Sports
- Wayne County-Post 39 box
- Wayne County drops Pitt County American Legion
- Walnut Creek LGA
- North Duplin junior legion wins
- Spurgeon, Coor lead Spring Creek
- junior legion box
- CBA's Davis shuts out county rival
- Wilson turns back Wayne West, 4-1
- Lane Tree Ladies golf news
- Junior Legion: Aycock's Jacob Naughton tosses complete-game shutout