Wilson turns back Wayne West, 4-1
By Ryan Hanchett
Published in Sports on June 26, 2012 1:48 PM
Wayne West pulled off a thrilling win over Wilson in junior legion baseball on Saturday afternoon. Wilson would have no such second act on Monday night.
The visitors scored three runs in the first inning and controlled the game throughout a 4-1 win at "The Nest."
"I thought we played our best game of the season on Saturday," Wayne West head coach Barry Bradley said. "We pitched well, played good defense and got a few key hits. Tonight the pitching was good, but the other two facets were lacking."
Wilson jumped ahead in the first inning when a pair of Wayne West errors lead to three runs. The score remained 3-0 until the bottom of the fourth frame when Wayne West got on the board.
Boone Moody reached on an error with one out. John Winslow hit into a fielder's choice that was misplayed on the infield. Moody scored when Reed Howell reached on the third Wilson error in four batters.
Holding a 3-1 lead, Wilson added an insurance run in the top of the seventh. The run support was more than enough for starting pitcher Colton Griffin. The right-hander allowed four hits en route to the mound win.
John Winslow suffered the hard-luck loss for Wayne West. Winslow allowed four runs, only one earned, over seven innings.
"John pitched well enough to win the ballgame," Bradley said. "He had pretty good command and he mixed it up, but we missed a few balls behind him and we got in a hole we could not get out of."
Wayne West (1-8 overall) plays host to Wayne South on Wednesday.
Other Local Sports
- Rosewood grad Will Winslow signs with Coker
- Wayne County survives, sweeps regular-season series from Post 39
- TV sportswatch adv. 6.25.12
- North Duplin Junior Legion team hammers Topsail
- Meredith Burroughs named All-American by MaxPreps.com
- Hurricanes win not one, but two state titles in softball
- Collin DuBose inks with Mount Olive College
- Smitherman cranks out three hits in Aycock's Junior Legion victory
- Wayne County-Post 39 box
- Wayne County drops Pitt County American Legion