Smitherman cranks out three hits in Aycock's Junior Legion victory
By From staff reports
Published in Sports on June 30, 2012 11:04 PM
PIKEVILLE -- Hank Smitherman delivered a three-hit outing during Charles B. Aycock's 11-1, mercy-rule victory over Junior American Legion foe Spring Creek at Charles Davis Field.
Garrett Joyner (two RBI) and Jacob Naughton (two RBI) supplied two hits apiece for Aycock, which improved to 13-5 overall this season. Tim Naughton batted 1-for-4 with three RBI. Bobby Hampton (RBI) and Caleb Smith (RBI) contributed one hit apiece.
Trent Herndon and Logan Runyon each drove in a run.
Herndon threw four innings of no-hit relief behind starter Charlie Robertson and earned the mound win. He fanned two Spring Creek batters and walked one. Robertson allowed one earned run on two hits and posted two strikeouts.
The teams conclude their three-game series Monday at "The Swamp." First pitch is 6 p.m.
Other Local Sports
- Local Digest
- Wayne County walk-off winners
- Senior Legion box
- North Duplin tops Dixon in junior legion
- Rosewood grad Will Winslow signs with Coker
- Wayne County survives, sweeps regular-season series from Post 39
- TV sportswatch adv. 6.25.12
- North Duplin Junior Legion team hammers Topsail
- Meredith Burroughs named All-American by MaxPreps.com
- Hurricanes win not one, but two state titles in softball