Local Preps Digest
By From staff reports
Published in Sports on August 15, 2012 1:48 PM
C.B. Aycock 6, Wilson Fike 3
* PIKEVILLE -- Charles B. Aycock won four out of six singles matches and defeated Wilson Fike 6-3 on Tuesday afternoon.
Ashton Walker, Katie Gurley, Rachel Jackson and Casie Belom each recorded a singles point for the Golden Falcons. The doubles teams of Wakler-Gurley and Belom-Cassidy Coerber also prevailed.
Aycock (2-0 overall) visits Rocky Mount on Thursday.
Wilson Fike 3, Greene Central 0
* SNOW HILL -- Greene Central opened its season with a 25-16, 25-17, 25-13 loss against Wilson Fike on Tuesday.
Kaitlyn Napier and Casey Herring each had three kills for the Rams. Paige Chase provided three aces and Kaitlyn Napier added two aces.
Greene Central visits Eastern Wayne on Aug. 21.
Spring Creek 2
* SEVEN SPRINGS -- Spring Creek rallied to force a fifth set but endured a 19-25, 26-24, 27-25, 16-25, 15-11 loss to Hobbton on Tuesday evening.
Olivia Martinez and Rachel McCollum each contributed 10 kills for the Gators. Ashton Ross had seven kills and Martinez added six aces. Grecia Aguirre added eight digs.
Spring Creek visits Southern Wayne on Thursday.
Eastern Wayne 3,
* Eastern Wayne opened its volleyball season with a 25-18, 25-22, 24-26, 25-14 win over Goldsboro on Monday afternoon.
Goldsboro travels to Hobbton today, while Eastern Wayne plays host to Rosewood on Thursday.
Walnut Creek LGA
* Brooke Eason and Mary Morris shared low putt accolades in first flight during regular play-day competition at Walnut Creek Country Club.
Evelyn Rose won low net, while Jewel Ivey took low gross.
Linda Cannon emerged the low gross winner in second flight play. Pete Reaves and Penny Ritt claimed low net and low putts, respectively.
CBA game postponed
* WILSON -- Charles B. Aycock has another eight days off.
The Golden Falcons were set to launch their 2012 campaign Tuesday evening at perennial power Wilson Fike. The match has been rescheduled for Sept. 6.
Aycock opens its season Aug. 22 at Wilson Hunt.
Southern Wayne 4,
Wilson Hunt 4
* WILSON -- Caesar Benitez punched in two goals and Southern Wayne battled to a 4-4, non-conference draw against Wilson Hunt on Monday in the season-opening match for both teams.
Oscar Trejo and Victor Velazquez netted one goal apiece.
The Saints (0-0-1 overall) entertain county rival Goldsboro on Aug. 20.
Site change for EW game
* Eastern Wayne athletics director Jabo Fulghum announced Wednesday morning that the site for the Warriors' season-opening, junior varsity game with Wilson Hunt has been moved to due to wet field conditions.
The teams will play Thursday at Little Big Horn on the EW campus.
Kickoff is 7 p.m.
Admission is $6.
Aycock game time changed
* PIKEVILLE -- Charles B. Aycock athletics director Charles Davis announced late Wednesday morning that the game time for the Golden Falcons' home opener against Rosewood has been changed.
Kickoff is 5:30 p.m. at Hardy Talton Stadium on Thursday.
* Volleyball: Spring Creek d. Hobbton 25-12, 25-8 -- Diana Correna led the Gators with seven service aces, two assists and two kills. Sydney Ocker had five aces and Lexie Reyes contributed four aces and three assists.
* Volleyball: Wilson Fike d. Greene Central 25-18, 25-11 -- Sarah Carr supplied four aces for the Rams. Rebbeca Webb had three kills.
* Volleyball: Eastern Wayne d. Goldsboro 28-26, 21-25, 25-19 -- Eastern Wayne earned its first win of the season on Monday.
Other Local Sports
- Thursday preps digest: EW tennis nets victory over Fike
- Perennial 1-A power Lakewood stops Southern Wayne in three sets
- FOOTBALL TAB - Spring Creek: Small in numbers, Gators working hard in "The Swamp"
- FOOTBALL TAB - Southern Wayne: Saints' coaches excited with team's work ethic
- FOOTBALL TAB - Eastern Wayne: Williams has some inexperienced players filling big voids
- FOOTBALL TAB -- Rosewood: Eagles solid on offense, rebuilding defense
- FOOTBALL TAB -- Princeton: Minor brings "fresh" attitude to Bulldogs' program
- FOOTBALL TAB -- North Lenoir: Sutton continues to build winning mentality in Wheat Swamp
- FOOTBALL TAB -- North Duplin: Rebels battle cry for 2012 is to "finish" games
- FOOTBALL TAB -- Jarrod James: Red-shirt freshman says 2012 all about UNC seniors