Devils cruise past Gators
By From staff reports
Published in Sports on August 18, 2012 11:08 PM
DEEP RUN -- South Lenoir got off to a good start with a 42-7 victory over Spring Creek on Friday night.
The Blue Devils jumped on top in the first quarter when Will Graves broke free for a 68-yard scoring run. On the team's next possession, quarterback Garrett Holland hit Jaquin Williams with a 17-yard touchdown pass.
Spring Creek got back in the ballgame late in the first quarter when fullback Anthony Russo found paydirt from two yards out. Russo made the extra point and pulled the Gators within 14-7.
"I think we did some things well offensively in the second quarter," Spring Creek head coach Aaron Sanders said. "We need to work on getting stops so that we don't get so far behind early in the ballgame."
South Lenoir put the game away in the second quarter with touchdowns on three consecutive possessions that led to a 35-7 halftime score.
The game was called due to lightning and heavy rain early in the fourth quarter.
Spring Creek (0-1 overall) plays host to Lejeune next week.
Other Local Sports
- JV sports: Rosewood sweeps Union
- Princeton drops non-league, five-set tilt at Bunn
- Rosewood spikes Union in three sets
- Ramirez notches four goals in Saints' win over Goldsboro
- Rosewood boots North Johnston, 3-1
- Warriors complete regular-season sweep of Cougars in volleyball
- Area football players of the week for Aug. 24
- Heller takes over MOC men's volleyball program
- Lane Tree Ladies Golf
- Prep football notebook