Local Preps Digest
By Andrew Stevens
Published in Sports on August 24, 2012 1:48 PM
Eastern Wayne 2
* Rosewood completed its regular-season sweep of Eastern Wayne with a 25-18, 22-25, 14-25, 25-17, 15-7 win on Thursday evening.
The Eagles' Ellen Morgan pounded out 10 kills to go with six blocks and three service aces. Anna Ingram handed out 10 assists to go with four kills. Crystal Allen had nine kills and four blocks. Hayley Mercer supplied eight assists and Emily Brock added seven assists.
Rosewood (4-2 overall) travels to Wayne Christian on Monday. Eastern Wayne begins Eastern Carolina 3-A Conference play at South Johnston on Tuesday.
Wayne Country Day 3,
* Wayne Country Day picked up a 25-9, 25-10, 25-12 win Thursday afternoon at Goldsboro.
Rachel Uzzell recorded 10 assists and eight service aces for the Chargers. Sarah Crooks added six kills and four digs. Hanna Pearson provided five kills and four assists.
Brandy Johnson had six kills for the Cougars.
Wayne Country Day (4-1 overall) plays host to East Wake Academy on Tuesday. Goldsboro (1-5) entertains Jones Senior on Aug. 30.
Hobbton 3, North Duplin 0
* CALYPSO -- North Duplin endured a 25-15, 25-16, 25-11 loss to Hobbton on Thursday.
Mia Owens paced the Rebels with five digs, three kills and and two aces. Nolvia Ramos added four digs and Brooke Carter had six assists.
North Duplin visits Union next Wednesday.
C.B. Aycock 9,
North Lenoir 0
* LaGRANGE -- Charles B. Aycock bounced back from its loss on Tuesday at Triton with a 9-0 road win at Eastern Carolina 3-A Conference rival North Lenoir on Thursday.
Ashton Walker, Katie Gurley, Rachel Jackson, Kimber Pender, Casie Belom and Cassidy Coerver each earned a singles victory. The doubles teams of Walker-Gurley, Jackson-Pender and Belom-Coerver also prevailed.
The Golden Falcons (3-2 overall, 1-1 ECC) visit South Johnston on Tuesday.
Eastern Wayne 8, Cleveland 1
* CLAYTON -- Eastern Wayne cruised to an 8-1 Eastern Carolina 3-A Conference win on Thursday afternoon at Cleveland.
Grace Delbridge, Blake Govan, McKenna Dove, Cameron Dove and Brittney Brinson all contributed singles wins for the Warriors. The doubles teams of Delbridge-Govan, Sutton-McKenna Dove and Cameron Dove-Brinson were also victorious.
Eastern Wayne (3-0 overall, 2-0 ECC) travels to Rocky Mount on Tuesday.
Eagles finish fifth
* SELMA -- Rosewood shot a team score of 163 and finished fifth out of 10 teams Thursday at Cardinal GolfCourse.
Lindsey Burton and Taylor Gales both had rounds of 52 for the Eagles. Clayton finished first in the team scoring followed by Smithfield-Selma and West Johnston.
Rosewood returns to action Aug. 30 against Charles B. Aycock at Lane Tree Golf Club.
Southern Wayne 38,
Northern Nash 24
* DUDLEY -- Xavier Pearsall rushed for 338 yards and four touchdowns, and Southern Wayne defeated Northern Nash 38-24 on Thursday night.
Pearsall tallied rushing touchdowns of 95, 30, 20 and 5 yards. James Leonard contributed 75 yards on the ground, including a 15-yard touchdown run. Lowell Deans added a pair of two-point conversions. Tyaire Allen and James Leonard each provided one two-point conversion.
Marquail Roddick recorded 13 tackles and an interception on defense. Chris Stukes and Shamar Faison each tallied nine tackles. Lowell Deans and Josh Jernigan both had seven tackles.
The Saints visit Goldsboro on Sept. 14.
* Volleyball: Rosewood d. Eastern Wayne 25-10, 25-13 -- Jordan Marten and Kayla Hardee both had five assists for the Eagles. Lexi Mercer provided four kills. Rosewood (5-1 overall) visits Wayne Christian on Monday.
* Volleyball: Goldsboro d. Wayne Country Day 22-25, 25-19, 25-23 -- Shamonica Artis and Kayle Lyon each had seven aces for the Cougars. Maddie Jara supplied five kills. Teriece Hawley led the Chargers with seven aces.
Other Local Sports
- Eagles' backfield stays on same page in home victory
- Spring Creek-Lejeune box
- Southern Wayne-N.Nash box
- Early mistakes troublesome for Spring Creek
- Rosewood-Wake Christian box
- Princeton-Midway box
- James Kenan hammers Jones
- North Duplin-Lakewood box
- Princeton stumbles against Midway
- Lakewood blanks North Duplin