Midway builds three-TD lead, routs Rosewood
By Rudy Coggins
Published in Sports on September 1, 2012 11:08 PM
SPIVEY'S CORNER -- Rosewood ran into a buzzsaw as Midway earned a 44-7 victory on Friday night.
Midway jumped ahead 7-0 on the second play of the game and made the score 14-0 on its second possession.
Trailing 21-0 in the second quarter, the Eagles got their only score on a three-yard plunge from Spencer Garrison. The momentum was short-lived, however, as the Raiders drove the ball into field goal range before the intermission and tacked on three points.
"I think right now because of our youth on defense we are making some mistakes that are allowing our opponents to keep drives going," Rosewood head coach Robert Britt said. "We need to do a better job of getting off the field on third down."
Aaron Thurman led the Raiders with 133 yards and two touchdowns.
Josh Davis paced the Rosewood offense with 115 yards rushing on nine carries. Garrison added 107 yards on 26 carries.
Rosewood (1-2 overall) visits North Stokes next Friday.
Other Local Sports
- Area football players-of-the-week: Aug. 31
- Prep football notebook: Eastern Wayne keeps it simple in victory over South Lenoir
- Murphy hired to take over MOC men's lacrosse program
- Neuse Christian rallies from two-set deficit against Wayne Christian
- Wayne Christian finds offense against Neuse Christian
- Saints' special teams play crucial at White Oak
- Spring Creek-SE Halifax box
- Spring Creek gets in shootout with Southeast Halifax
- Southern Wayne-White Oak box
- Rosewood-Midway box