Spring Creek gets in shootout with Southeast Halifax
By News-Argus Staff
Published in Sports on September 1, 2012 11:08 PM
HALIFAX -- Spring Creek found itself in a shootout on Friday night at Southeast Halifax.
Unfortunately for the Gators, the Trojans had one more bullet and held on for a 52-40 victory.
After falling behind by two touchdowns early, Spring Creek stormed back with a big second quarter and pulled within two points, 30-28, at the half.
"I think our guys are starting to figure it out offensively," Spring Creek head coach Aaron Sanders said. "We shot ourselves in the foot a few times early and fell behind, but after we regrouped we really played the rest of the game even."
Tre Hammonds led the Gators' offense by filling up all three stat columns -- 47 yards rushing, 68 yards passing and 77 yards receiving. DeVante Faison added 23 yards on the ground and 107 through the air on six completions.
Rodney Lanier hauled in a 68-yard touchdown grab. Logan Miller finished with four catches and one score.
Spring Creek (0-3 overall) entertains East Carteret on Friday.
Other Local Sports
- Davis Love III fills out Ryder Cup team
- Argonauts shut out Trojan women on soccer pitch
- Lane Tree Ladies Golf Association news
- Area football players-of-the-week: Aug. 31
- Prep football notebook: Eastern Wayne keeps it simple in victory over South Lenoir
- Murphy hired to take over MOC men's lacrosse program
- Neuse Christian rallies from two-set deficit against Wayne Christian
- Wayne Christian finds offense against Neuse Christian
- Saints' special teams play crucial at White Oak
- Spring Creek-SE Halifax box