EW, CBA cross country teams compete in four-team ECC road meet
By News-Argus Staff
Published in Sports on September 6, 2012 1:48 PM
FOUR OAKS -- Charles B. Aycock's Marvin Alexander and Eastern Wayne's Alyssa Akers emerged the county's top runners during a four-team meet hosted by Eastern Carolina 3-A Conference member South Johnston on Wednesday afternoon.
Alexander ran the 5K course in 20 minutes, 3 seconds -- good enough for third overall behind meet winner Jared Keever of Triton and South Johnston's Blake Parker.
Eastern Wayne's Tim Cooper placed ninth in 21:36, while the Golden Falcons' Adam Pate finished 11th in 22:09.
South Johnston edged Triton 33-35 in the team race. Aycock took third with 76 points, while Eastern Wayne scored 88.
Akers placed seventh overall on the girls' side with a time of 27 minutes. The Golden Falcons' Cady Sheeks and Sabrina Johnson ended up 10th and 12th, respectively. Sheeks crossed the line in 27:25, while Johnson posted a time of 27:34.
Eastern Wayne's Cristella Rochell wound up among the top 15 with a time of 28:01.
Three-time defending league champion Triton won the meet with 16 points after placing four runners among the top six, including meet winner Ashley Dean (23:37).
South Johnston's tandem of Dava McLamb and Caroline Damon grabbed second and third, respectively. However, the Trojans didn't field enough runners to record a team score.
Eastern Wayne ended up second in team competition with 57 points. Aycock was close behind with 65.
Other Local Sports
- Special teams plays helps three area squads
- Saints present Bell with first-ever ECC win
- Preps digest: JV, middle school roundup
- JV football: Best leads Eastern Wayne past Greene Central
- Aycock-Fike game rained out
- Gators rally past Hobbton
- Greene Central drops four-set decision with SouthWest Edgecombe
- Goldsboro volleyball loses to Jones Senior
- Wayne Country Day turns back Oakwood
- Rosewood tennis falls to Ayden-Grifton