Limestone (S.C.) takes soccer twinbill at Mount Olive
By MOC Sports Information
Published in Sports on September 10, 2012 1:49 PM
MOUNT OLIVE -- Two hard-luck losses.
Jack Bailey scored in the 86th minute and lifted Limestone (S.C.) College to a 2-1 victory over the Mount Olive College men's soccer team at Amon Field on Saturday afternoon.
Gabriella Reid connected in the 60th minute and Limestone pulled out a 2-1 victory in the women's game.
It was the Conference Carolinas opener for both teams.
On the men's side, Limestone's Benjamin Morande broke the scoreless tie in the 11th minute. The Trojans answered in the 25th minute on Tyler Vandevender's goal -- the first for MOC this season. The Saints' defense failed to clear a cross by Emmanuel Wennah.
MOC keeper Nick Bernsdorft turned away seven shots.
Ashley Spanitz's goal off Leah Kennington's assist put Limestone ahead 1-0 in the women's game. Held scoreless for 311-plus minutes, the Trojans found the back of the net in the 43rd when Ellie Barnes tucked away a goal off Tia Rose's assist.
The score stood until Reid's game-winning goal.
The MOC men (0-2-0 overall) entertain Francis Marion (S.C.) University on Wednesday, while the women (0-4-0) travel to in-state foe St. Andrews.
Other Local Sports
- Preps digest: JV, middle school roundup
- Binar notches four goals in Gators' win at EW
- Rosewood sweeps Union in volleyball
- CBA soccer team drops first match of 2012
- Rams top SWE in EPC soccer match
- Chargers turn back Faith-RM on tennis courts
- Princeton's Balderas notches hat trick
- Wayne Christian picks up CCC tennis win
- Aycock nets ECC tennis win at Southern Wayne
- Simmons powers Aycock in ECC golf match