Simmons powers Aycock in ECC golf match
By Ryan Hanchett
Published in Sports on September 11, 2012 1:48 PM
DUDLEY -- South Johnston head coach Daniel Benson said it best as Charles B. Aycock standout Tara Simmons handed in her scorecard.
"That 37 is going to be hard to beat," Benson said.
Indeed it was.
Simmons finished with a 1-over par round of 37 and captured medalist honors at the opening Eastern Carolina 3-A Conference golf match on Monday afternoon at Southern Wayne Country Club.
Simmons bested the field by 14 strokes.
"I had a chance to shoot even par, but I missed a short putt on the final hole," Simmons said. "Other than that I played pretty well, stayed patient and just tried to play my game."
Madison Aycock (51) and Kristen Denning (55) rounded out the Golden Falcons' 143 team total. Triton finished second in the team standings with a 161 total and South Johnston was third with 164 strokes.
"We have not lost a conference match since Tara joined the team and we didn't want that streak to end today," C.B. Aycock head coach Roger Rhodes said. "I was pleased with how we played overall, and being the first conference match I think we have room to get better."
Katie Anderson paced Southern Wayne with a 56. Macy Weaks finished one stroke behind her teammate with a 57. Kayla Outlaw rounded out the Saints' team total of 175 with a round of 62.
"Katie was one stroke away from qualifying for the regional," Southern Wayne head coach Michael Wiggs said. "This was a learning experience for our girls and I think we will keep improving."
The next ECC meet is Sept. 17 at Reedy Creek Country Club. The Golden Falcons' next home match is Sept. 19 against Wilson Hunt and Southern Nash. Tee time is 2 p.m. at Lane Tree Golf Club.
Other Local Sports
- Preps digest: JV, middle school roundup
- Bye week is blessing for Spring Creek
- Russell Stephens officially named new boys' basketball coach at Goldsboro High
- Princeton sweeps Spring Creek in volleyball
- Wayne Christian boys take five-team cross country meet
- Greenfield shuts down WCDS in soccer
- Easom notches hat trick for Wayne Christian
- Baird, Hawks shut out Cougars in soccer
- Greene Central picks up first EPC volleyball win of season
- Chargers dealt second straight CPIC setback