Trojans' Gore finishes 3rd at CenturyLink Invitational
By MOC Sports Information
Published in Sports on September 12, 2012 1:49 PM
MOC Sports Information
Mount Olive junior Dalton Gore fired a 1-under-par 71 on Tuesday and finished third overall during the CenturyLink Invitational contested at Lane Tree Golf Club.
Gore moved up three spots and his second-round score was second only to eventual champion Daniel Claytor of Barton. Claytor carded back-to-back rounds of 69 and claimed medalist honors with a 6-under 138 in the 36-hole event.
The Trojans posted five of the top 11 scores.
Joining Claytor and Gore on the all-tournament team were Barton's Michael Marshburn (143) and Brian Quilter (147) and MOC's Mark O'Hara (146).
Also participating for the Trojans were David Shields (149), Jesus Valderrama (149), Philippe Tjantele (150), Kyle Simpson (152) and Jose Ramirez (154).
On the women's side, MOC freshmen Julie Loennechen and Virginia Lane each delivered a big performance in their first collegiate golf outing. Loennechen shot a tournament-best 74 in Monday's first round before taking second place overall. Lane's second round 80 on Tuesday elevated her to a third-place finish.
The Trojans also received solid efforts from senior Emelie Andersson (162), Emy Ohling (169), Sarah Baniszewski (174) and Stefany King (175).
Barton's Brittney Zine emerged the individual champion.
Team scores were not kept in the Invitational, which is co-hosted by Mount Olive College and Barton.
Other Local Sports
- Preps digest: JV, middle school roundup
- Bye week is blessing for Spring Creek
- Russell Stephens officially named new boys' basketball coach at Goldsboro High
- Princeton sweeps Spring Creek in volleyball
- Wayne Christian boys take five-team cross country meet
- Greenfield shuts down WCDS in soccer
- Easom notches hat trick for Wayne Christian
- Baird, Hawks shut out Cougars in soccer
- Greene Central picks up first EPC volleyball win of season
- Chargers dealt second straight CPIC setback