Chargers log 1-1 record at Cobb Classic
By Rudy Coggins
Published in Sports on September 17, 2012 1:48 PM
WILSON -- Wayne Country Day suffered its first loss of the season, but bounced back later in the weekend to post a 1-1 record during the third annual Alice Memorial Classic contested at the Barton College Tennis Complex.
The Chargers opened the Classic with a 7-2 loss to perennial powerhouse Statesville Christian on Friday. Gianna Democko avenged her loss in the state finals last year with a 6-4, 6-1 triumph over Nicki Segur. Democko and doubles mate Sarah Best rallied from a 7-4 deficit to defeat Segur-Kayla Revelle 9-8.
On Saturday, WCDS rolled past Lawrence Academy 8-1.
Democko, Best, Mollie Catherine McDonald, Abbey Pope and Anna Allen each claimed a singles points. Democko-McDonald, Best-A. Pope and Meredith Roethling-Margaux Pope each prevailed in doubles.
Weather permitting, the Chargers (4-1 overall) face county archrival Wayne Christian today at Wayne Community College. First serve is 4 p.m.
Other Local Sports
- Preps digest: JV, middle school, youth sports
- Goldsboro Municipal GC hosting epic challenge
- Rosewood drops 5-set affair against Fike
- Hawks shut down Rams in soccer
- Simmons, Aycock take ECC golf meet
- Rain suspends Wayne Christian-WCDS match
- CBA blanks North Lenoir in tennis
- Eastern Wayne stays perfect on ECC tennis scene
- O'Hara shoots opening-round 75
- Aycock grabs early lead, Warriors rally late