09/18/12 — Aycock grabs early lead, Warriors rally late

View Archive

Aycock grabs early lead, Warriors rally late

By Ryan Hanchett
Published in Sports on September 18, 2012 1:48 PM

Charles B. Aycock jumped on top in the first half.

Eastern Wayne rallied in the second.

When the smoke cleared at Little Big Horn on Monday night, the Golden Falcons walked off with a 3-2 Eastern Carolina 3-A Conference victory.

"This was a good win for us because it gets us back above .500 in the conference," C.B. Aycock assistant coach Byron Adkins said. "I thought we played well, maybe took our foot off the gas a little early."

Collin Zacharzuk opened the scoring for the Golden Falcons in the 22nd minute when he collected a rebound and slid a shot underneath the diving keeper.

Juan Pina made the score 2-0 in Aycock's favor in the 27th minute with an unassisted goal off an Eastern Wayne turnover. Zachurzuk put C.B. Aycock ahead 3-0 in the 29th minute when he ran on to a pass from Bailey Lynch and fired a shot into the net.

"We had one of those stretches where it was a bad eight minutes," Eastern Wayne head coach Jorg Wagner said. "We had a couple of breakdowns in the defense and it cost us."

The two teams battled back and forth until late in the second half when C.B. Aycock substituted out most of its starting lineup.

Eastern Wayne immediately capitalized when Andrew Baker scored off an assist from Mitchell Kaspar in the 76th minute. Two minutes later Adrian Thompson found the mark and cut the Warriors' deficit to 3-2.

The Golden Falcons put their starters back in the game and tried to ride out the remaining 90 seconds. Eastern Wayne nearly tallied the game-tying goal in the final minute when Fredy Garcia fired a shot into the net.

Garcia was call offsides on the play.

"I think we can make a very good argument that play was not offsides," Wagner said. "It would have been nice to complete the comeback and get the tie."

Eastern Wayne (2-6 overall, 0-4 ECC) travels to Triton on Thursday. C.B. Aycock (3-3-1, 3-2) plays host to Spring Creek on Wednesday.