Allan scores Trojans' game-winning goal
By MOC Sports Information
Published in Sports on September 21, 2012 1:48 PM
MISENHEIMER -- Mount Olive freshman Craig Allan was in the right place at the right time for his first collegiate goal Thursday afternoon.
Allan re-directed a loose ball in front of the net five minutes into overtime and gave the Trojans a 1-0 victory over Conference Carolinas in-state rival Pfeiffer University.
On the women's side, the Falcons punched in three second-half goals during a 4-1 win.
MOC freshman keeper Nick Bernsdorf logged six saves for his first collegiate shutout. Allan's goal came after Pfeiffer keeper Zach Liles saved a shot by teammate John Kwennah. The ball bounced in front of the goal and Allan tucked it away.
The Trojans (2-4-0 overall, 2-1 CC) won their second straight league outing.
Ellie Barnes staked the MOC women to an early lead in the 10th minute when her shot deflected off a Pfeiffer defender and into the goal.
The Falcons (3-3-0) tied the game in the 38th minute and went on to capture their second conference win of the season.
The Trojan women fell to 1-5-1 overall and 1-2 in league play.
Mount Olive plays host to Erskine (S.C.) College on Saturday. Kickoff is 4 p.m. at Amon Field, with the men's game following at 7.
Other Local Sports
- Spring Creek avenges loss to county foe
- Rosewood sweeps N. Duplin
- County foes go scoreless until last 10 minutes
- Oakwood spikers defeat Wayne Country Day
- Triton sweeps regular-season series from CBA
- Princeton stays unbeaten in Carolina 1-A play
- Spring Creek stops Goldsboro in 4 sets
- Trio scores in WCDS road win
- Saints defeat Cleveland twice
- Greenfield trips up Wayne Christian