JV football: Eastern Wayne 26, Cleveland 24
By News-Argus Staff
Published in Sports on September 21, 2012 1:48 PM
Eastern Wayne quarterback K.K. Best scored the go-ahead touchdown with fewer than two minutes to play and the Warriors hung on to defeat Cleveland 26-24 on Thursday evening at Little Big Horn.
Best finished with 121 yards on the ground and two touchdowns on 20 carries. He added 116 yards through the air with two scores. Ricky Steiner and Robert Gonzalez each hauled in a touchdown pass for the Warriors.
Antonio Hall had an interception and Gonzalez picked off a pass that set up the game-winning drive that culminated in Best's 17-yard touchdown run.
The Rams mounted one final drive but were stopped by Steiner at the Eastern Wayne 5-yard line as time expired.
Hall, Gonzalez, Steiner, Kevin Larson, Dee South, John Stephens and Best each recorded seven tackles.
Other Local Sports
- Spring Creek avenges loss to county foe
- Rosewood sweeps N. Duplin
- County foes go scoreless until last 10 minutes
- Oakwood spikers defeat Wayne Country Day
- Triton sweeps regular-season series from CBA
- Princeton stays unbeaten in Carolina 1-A play
- Spring Creek stops Goldsboro in 4 sets
- Trio scores in WCDS road win
- Saints defeat Cleveland twice
- Greenfield trips up Wayne Christian