McNeill dismisses Arrington
By Rudy Coggins
Published in Sports on September 24, 2012 1:48 PM
ECU Sports Information
GREENVILLE -- East Carolina senior wide receiver Dayon Arrington has been dismissed from the Pirate football program after an early Sunday morning arrest that followed prior team rule violations according to an announcement from head football coach Ruffin McNeill Sunday night.
The decision came after McNeill and ECU athletics officials were made aware that Arrington was charged with possession with intent to sell & deliver and possession of drug paraphernalia by the Greenville Police Department.
"Because of previous team rule violations, we do not have any other option than to dismiss Dayon from the team for this incident," McNeill said. "It disappoints us when we provide opportunities and situations for young people to put them in a position to succeed and they end up making poor choices and decisions. As a program, we talk about being accountable and there is a penalty to pay for that at times."
Arrington, who sat out the season opener against Appalachian State because of a one-game suspension for a team rule violation, has played in three contests this fall as a reserve and had two catches for 36 yards. He matched a career-long with a 29-yard reception against North Carolina during East Carolina's 27-6 loss in Chapel Hill Saturday.
Arrington will close a career that included 15 catches for 160 yards in 26 games dating back to 2009.
Other Local Sports
- Preps digest: JV, middle school roundup
- Hawks, Warriors stage high-scoring affair
- Rosewood spikes Spring Creek in Carolina 1-A volleyball action
- Rosewood doubles up Goldsboro, 4-2
- Princeton, Ayden-Grifton battle to 3-3 draw
- Simmons claims medalist honors at Keith Hills CC
- Spring Creek nets victory over Rosewood
- Saints ground Golden Falcons, 3-2
- Lane Tree LGA news
- Greene Central, Greenfield duel to 2-2 draw