Wayne Christian's Jones wins Pirate XC Invitational
By News-Argus Staff
Published in Sports on September 24, 2012 1:48 PM
Enter story here...GREENVILLE -- Wayne Christian's Connor Jones easily claimed the 2012 Pirate Cross Country Invitational boys' crown Saturday morning.
Jones ran the 3.1-mile course in 17 minutes, 6 seconds -- 18 seconds faster than runner-up McKinley Gray.
Wayne Christian's Levi Miller (22:06) and Matthew Wells (22:12) ended up 79th and 80th, respectively. Teammates Tyler Wallace (22:18) and Chris Easom (22:23) crossed the line 82nd and 83rd, respectively to complete the Eagles' 10th-place effort in team action.
Eastern Wayne's Jeremy Murray placed 37th overall among 168 competitors with a time of 20:04.16.
The Warriors' Tim Cooper was 52nd in 20:40. Teammates Videll Wright (20:56), Sawyer Thompson (21:30) and Zach Evans (22:39) rounded out the team's 11th-place finish.
On the girls' side, Eastern Wayne's Alyssa Akers crossed the line 29th overall in 24:53. Teammate Morgan Exum ended up two spots behind Akers in 25:12, while Christi Interrante wound up 38th in 25:57.
Ashley Ames (26:11) and Tricia Malcolm (26:18) helped the Warriors place seventh in the team competition.
Wayne Christian's Georgia Parnell (26:01) and Sarah Allen (26:08) claimed 39th and 40th, respectively.
Other Local Sports
- Preps digest: JV, middle school roundup
- Hawks, Warriors stage high-scoring affair
- Rosewood spikes Spring Creek in Carolina 1-A volleyball action
- Rosewood doubles up Goldsboro, 4-2
- Princeton, Ayden-Grifton battle to 3-3 draw
- Simmons claims medalist honors at Keith Hills CC
- Spring Creek nets victory over Rosewood
- Saints ground Golden Falcons, 3-2
- Lane Tree LGA news
- Greene Central, Greenfield duel to 2-2 draw