Epiphany shuts out WCDS on soccer pitch
By Ryan Hanchett
Published in Sports on September 26, 2012 1:48 PM
Epiphany did what any good team would do with an early lead.
The Falcons packed in the defense and made it hold up. The result was a 4-0 win over Wayne Country Day on Tuesday afternoon.
"We got behind and were not able to recover," Wayne Country Day head coach Steve Ellis said. "They made sure that we did not get many scoring chances and even when we did we could not get them in the goal."
Epiphany (8-2-1 overall) took a 1-0 lead in the 25th minute when Ian Brizes found Florian Vorleiter with a crossing pass and Vorleiter pushed the ball across the goal line.
The Falcons added to their lead two minutes later when Noah McLaughlin chipped a shot over the charging Wayne Country Day keeper. McLaughlin did a front flip over the sliding goalie (Zach Brewer-Kirby) and landed hard on his head as the ball went into the net. McLaughlin was helped off the field but later returned to the game.
The second half was primarily a defensive struggle with a pair of Epiphany quick strikes in the middle.
McLaughlin scored his second goal in the 57th minute off a pass forward by Vorleiter. Brizes finished the Falcons' 4-0 tally with an unassisted goal in the 64th minute.
"They did what good teams do in the second half," Ellis said. "They focused on defense, cleared every ball and played offense only when it was available."
The Falcons finished with 13 shots on goal to just four for Wayne Country Day. Brewer-Kirby finished with seven saves.
Wayne Country Day (5-5-1 overall) travels to archrival Greenfield on Friday.
Other Local Sports
- E. Wayne alum Tony Davis gets nod for Pfeiffer Athletics Hall of Fame
- Preps digest: JV, middle school, youth sports
- Rosewood shuts out Princeton, 1-0
- Spring Creek sweeps North Duplin in volleyball
- Aycock tennis team blitzes Cleveland, 9-0
- Epiphany takes cross country meet at Waynesborough Park
- Binar scores four goals in Gators' victory
- Aycock, Triton play to 2-2 draw
- Walnut Creek Ladies Golf news
- Saints defeat Beddingfield in golf