Preps digest: JV, middle school, youth sports
By From staff reports
Published in Sports on September 27, 2012 1:48 PM
* North Duplin d. Spring Creek 25-21, 25-20 -- Stormy Westbrook recorded two aces and five kills in the Gators' loss. Lexie Reyes added two assists and one kill. Alisha Gordon contributed two aces and one kill.
* Spring Creek d. Grantham 25-12, 25-17, 25-19 -- The Gators' Fernanda Martinez, Becky Coor and Ashley Martinez served six aces apiece. Karyme Reyes added one ace and one kill.
* Spring Creek d. Eastern Wayne 16-25, 25-22, 21-25, 25-14, 15-11 -- Fernanda Martinez served four aces and had one kill. The Gators (4-2 overall) play host to Dillard on Oct. 4.
Neuse River Football League
* Mount Oilve 20, C.B. Aycock 19 -- Deonta Wright rushed for two touchdowns and hauled in a two-point conversion pass. TQ Butler added a rushing touchdown. Wright led the defense with six tackles. The Hurricanes remained unbeaten in three games this season.
* C.B. Aycock 7, Mount Olive 0 -- Clay Matthews and Jaden Cooper were the offensive leaders for the Little Falcons. Tyler Hughes and Justin Williams paced the defense's shutout effort. The Little Falcons improved to 1-1 and handed the Hurricanes their first loss in three games this season.
* Rosewood 40, Spring Creek 12 -- Amrei Atwell, Ethan Jakab, Connor Wise, Noah Overton, Trent Lancaster and DeAndre Sutton were the offensive standouts for the Little Eagles. The defensive leaders were Hinton Cox, Jack White, Brian Melgar, David Baker, Zack Brogden and Quavandre Kornegay. Rosewood improved to 2-0 overall.
* Mount Olive 27, C.B. Aycock 13 -- Mo Brooks rushed for 104 yards and a touchdown. Deandre Wright added 78 yards and two touchdowns on the ground. Jack Casbarro and Aryc Chrisman provided one touchdown apiece. Josh McClain had 10 tackles and a fumble recovery on defense. Terrion Leach posted three tackles and Casbarro picked off an Aycock pass. The Hurricanes improved to 3-0 overall and handed the Little Falcons their first loss of the season.
Other Local Sports
- Aycock dumps S. Johnston in pivotal ECC match
- Smith, Brantham comprise Class of 2012 for Rosewood Hall of Fame
- Rebels' ground game presents challenge to Cougars' defense
- Rosewood boys, girls take XC meet at Princeton
- Eastern Wayne drops ECC affair on the road
- North Lenoir stumbles against Cleveland
- Eagles dominate Neuse Charter
- Lopez tallies lone goal in Gators' road win
- Bulldogs take out Gators in straight sets
- North Duplin sweeps Goldsboro