Trojans split league affair with Barton
By MOC Sports Information
Published in Sports on October 11, 2012 1:48 PM
WILSON -- Mount Olive's Daisy Thomas scored her third goal in four matches, and fellow freshman Carolin Edenhofner recorded her second consecutive shutout during a 1-0 victory over Conference Carolinas rival Barton College on Wednesday evening.
Bulldog goalkeeper Carson Moore withstood the Trojans' attack for much of the contest. That changed early in the second period when Thomas received a pass in the box from Carlee Bock and she delivered her fourth goal of the season. It was Bock's first assist of the season.
That was all the offense Edenhofner needed. She saved both shots Barton attempted on goal and picked up her third shutout of the season.
Mount Olive improved to 4-7-1 overall and 3-4 in conference play.
WILSON -- Mount Olive outshot Barton 20-2, but a penalty kick in the 51st minute gave the Bulldogs all they needed for a 1-0 victory in Conference Carolinas play Wednesday evening.
Mount Olive (3-8-1 overall, 2-4-1 CC) kept Barton on the defensive much of the contest. Freshman Nick Bernsdorf saved the only other shot on goal by Barton, and got plenty of help from his teammates as well.
In the 17th minute, Macon Watkins stripped Arthur Bane as he broke free for a potential one-on-one chance for the Bulldogs.
Though opportunities were frequent for the Trojans, Mount Olive struggled to get the ball into the net. Barton keeper Vasily Yakimkin turned in several acrobatic saves. Moments before the penalty kick, Yakimkin denied Trojan Alex Rodriguez' shot from 18 yards out. In the 62nd minute, he turned away another Rodriguez shot with a sliding save.
Yakimkin finished with 10 saves.
Other Local Sports
- Jones surpasses century mark at WCDS
- Walnut Creek Ladies Golf news
- Royal just one part of Rebels' potent running game
- Princeton caps unbeaten conference season with win over Rosewood
- JV football: So. Wayne 42, S. Johnston 25
- JV football: Goldsboro 33, Princeton 6
- JV football: E. Wayne 31, C.B. Aycock 6
- Warriors sweep ECC cross country meet at So. Wayne
- Ayden-Grifton needs 4 sets to beat Goldsboro
- CBA sweeps So. Wayne in ECC volleyball action