Prep football roundup: Goldsboro routs Princeton
By From staff reports
Published in Sports on October 13, 2012 11:05 PM
From staff reports
PRINCETON -- State-ranked Goldsboro survived an early scare and went on to defeat Princeton 56-16 in Carolina 1-A Conference action Friday evening.
The Bulldogs pulled ahead 9-0 early in the second quarter, but could not hold on as the No. 9-ranked Cougars got their big-play offense on track in the second half. Goldsboro scored 29 unanswered points in the fourth quarter to pull away late.
Julius Murphy led the Goldsboro attack with 10 completions for 300 yards and four touchdowns. Karon Alston hauled in three passes for 103 yards and two scores. Alston also had an interception return for a touchdown and a kickoff return for a touchdown.
Rasheid Malette led the Cougars on the ground with 20 carries for 125 yards and two scores.
Johnny Frazier emerged as the leading rusher for Princeton with 101 yards on 25 carries. Michael Wooten completed six passes for 114 yards and one touchdown.
Princeton (2-6 overall, 1-2 CC) is the guest of Ayden-Grifton next week, while Goldsboro (7-1, 3-0) travels to Spring Creek.
James Kenan 30,
* SPIVEY'S CORNER -- No. 2-ranked James Kenan got a pair of explosive scoring plays early and never looked back in a 30-0 rout of Tri-County 1-A Athletic Conference rival Midway on Friday night.
Marcelias Sutton got the Tigers on the scoreboard with an 84-yard touchdown run on the team's first possession. Following a long Midway drive into the red zone, Ja'Quan Williams snatched an interception away from a Raider receiver and raced 99 yards for a touchdown to put his team ahead 13-0.
Sutton led the James Kenan offense with eight carries for 145 yards and a touchdown. He also caught two passes for 52 yards and one score. Williams added 66 yards on the ground and one touchdown.
James Kenan (8-0 overall, 5-0 TCC) plays host to Heide Trask next week.
South Johnston 34,
Southern Wayne 18
* FOUR OAKS -- South Johnston scored the game's final two touchdowns in the fourth quarter and pulled away from Eastern Carolina 3-A Conference opponent Southern Wayne on Friday night.
"I was very proud of the effort of our football team tonight," Southern Wayne head coach David Lee said. "The assistant coaches did a great job this week preparing the kids to play. We showed a lot of heart and a lot of improvement from last week to tonight."
Andrew Matthews led Southern Wayne with 120 yards and one touchdown on 23 carries. Zach Solice finished with 81 yards on 18 carries.
Quarterback Jacob Hollingsworth enjoyed one of his best performances of the season with three completions for 74 yards and two touchdowns. Earle Campbell and Matthew Holland each caught one pass and each reached the end zone.
Southern Wayne (1-7 overall, 0-4 ECC) entertains North Lenoir next week.
Greene Central 32
* SNOW HILL -- Kinston marched 81 yards in the final two minutes and scored a late touchdown to defeat Eastern Plains 2-A Conference rival Greene Central 36-30 on Friday night.
Raheem Freeland scored from one yard out to put the Vikings ahead for good with two minutes to play.
Greene Central was led by quarterback Austin Batchelor's 146 yards on nine completions. Batchelor connected on two touchdown throws. Ronshon Bullock led the Rams' ground game with 17 carries for 101 yards.
Greene Central (1-7 overall, 0-4 EPC) travels to SouthWest Edgecombe on Friday.
Other Local Sports
- Preps digest: Middle school roundup
- Princeton upends Rosewood in OT
- NRYFL results
- Ayden-Grifton ends Goldsboro's year on volleyball court
- Spring Creek shuts out Goldsboro
- Benitez logs hat trick for Saints
- White, Rocha pace Trojans in road loss
- Lane Tree Ladies golf news
- Trojans oust Golden Falcons from ECC volleyball tournament
- Prep football notebook: Plenty of football left to play