By From staff reports
Published in Sports on October 21, 2012 12:08 AM
WILSON -- Charles B. Aycock standout Ashton Walker claimed the singles championship in the 3-A East Regional tournament on Saturday morning on the Barton College courts.
Walker defeated Northern Nash's Sara Hinson in the semifinal round and rolled past Caley Bass from Nash Central in the finals.
C.B. Aycock's Katie Gurley finished third in the tournament.
In doubled play the tandem of Savannah Sutton and Faith Sutton from Eastern Wayne finished fourth after being defeated 6-4, 4-6, 6-3 in the consolation match by Triton's Jennifer Byrd and Cailin Goff.
The 3-A state championships will be held at Burlington Tennis Center on Oct. 26.
Two advance in 1-A singles
* North Duplin's Jalisa Quintanilla and Spring Creek's Emily Daniel each qualified the for the 1-A state championship tennis tournament with top four finishes in the 1-A East Regional tournament on Saturday afternoon at Herman Park.
Quintanilla defeated Daniel in the semifinal round. Darden King of Raleigh Charter defeated Quintanilla in the finals 6-4, 6-1.
Daniel lost in the consolation match to Casey Langer of Franklin Academy.
Both players advance to the 1-A state championsips which will be held on Oct. 26 in Cary.
North Lenoir 5,
C.B. Aycock 0
* LaGRANGE -- North Lenoir scored all of its goals in the second half en route to a 5-0 win over Charles B. Aycock on Saturday afternoon in the opening round of the Eastern Carolina 3-A Conference tournament.
Justin Shimer led the Hawks with two goals and one assist. Mike Allred added one goal and one assist. Oscar Avila and Doerico Smith each finished with one goal. Hunter Smith added one assist.
North Lenoir (8-10-2 overall) will travel to Cleveland on Monday.
Eagles finish season
* SELMA -- Rosewood ended its regualr season with a victory over Princeton and North Johnston on Friday at Cardinal Country Club.
The Eagles finished with a 154 team score. Princeton shot 164.
Rosewood's Alana Pipkin and Princeton's Lacyn Hefflen shared the medalist honors with a score of 50.
The 1-A East Regional tournament will be held at Bear Trail Golf Course in Jacksonville on Monday.
Other Local Sports
- Preps digest: Middle school roundup
- Rosewood hammers out 8-1 decision over Ayden-Grifton
- Lane Tree Golf news
- Eagles, Dogs combine to send three golfers to state meet
- Simmons finishes third in 3-A East regional
- South Johnston shuts out Southern Wayne
- North Lenoir stuns ECC regular-season champion Cleveland
- Green-White Classic: MOC teams have plenty of work to do
- Bill Kemp Invitational results
- Jones, Kennedy claim individual titles at Bill Kemp Invitational