By Ryan Hanchett
Published in Sports on October 22, 2012 1:48 PM
Rosewood 3, Pamlico 1
* Rosewood opened the N.C. High School Athletic Association 1-A state playoffs with a 25-9, 19-25, 25-20, 25-11 win over Pamlico on Saturday night.
Ellen Morgan paced the Eagles with 13 kills. Anna Ingram added eight kills, six aces and two blocks. Scout Anderson dished out 10 assists in the win.
Rosewood will travel to Southwest Onslow on Tuesday for a second-round match.
Princeton 3, East Carteret 0
* PRINCETON -- The Princeton volleyball team began its run in the N.C. High School Athletic Association 1-A state playoffs with a 25-22, 25-16, 25-8 win over East Carteret on Saturday night.
Amber Hill led the Bulldogs with 10 kills and seven aces. Tori Paul and Kasey Edwards each tallied five kills in the win. Savanna Massengill finished with two kills and six blocks.
Princeton will host Midway in a second-round match Tuesday.
Southern Wayne 2, Triton 1
* DUDLEY -- Southern Wayne advanced to the second round of the Eastern Carolina 3-A Conference soccer tournament with a 2-1 win over Triton on Saturday night.
Juan Trejo and Cesar Benitez each scored one goal in the win.
Southern Wayne (10-6-3 overall) will travel to South Johnston today.
* 10U Football: Mount Olive Hurricanes 30, North Duplin 0 -- Wood Wright and Rayshawn Thompson each scored a rushing touchdown for Mount Olive. Jamari Leach and David Thompson each caught one touchdown pass in the win. Quadrez Lassiter led Mount Olive with four tackles. The Hurricanes improved to 5-1 overall.
* 8U Football: Mount Olive Hurricanes 24, North Duplin 0 -- Ella Boykin, Terquavis Buttler and D'eunta Wright each scored one rushing touchdown in the win. Jackory Harper and Bubba Strickland led Mount Olive with four tackles each on defense. The Hurricanes improved to 5-1 overall.
Other Local Sports
- Preps digest: Middle school roundup
- Rosewood hammers out 8-1 decision over Ayden-Grifton
- Lane Tree Golf news
- Eagles, Dogs combine to send three golfers to state meet
- Simmons finishes third in 3-A East regional
- South Johnston shuts out Southern Wayne
- North Lenoir stuns ECC regular-season champion Cleveland
- Green-White Classic: MOC teams have plenty of work to do
- Bill Kemp Invitational results
- Jones, Kennedy claim individual titles at Bill Kemp Invitational