Local digest: Middle schools, youth football
By From staff reports
Published in Sports on October 29, 2012 1:48 PM
* Volleyball: Spring Creek d. Grantham 25-20, 25-20, 25-16 -- Alanna Price served nice aces in the Gators' straight-set win. Sydney Johnson and Stephanie Martinez recorded three aces apiece. Spring Creek (9-4 overall) concludes regular-season play at home today against Eastern Wayne.
* Football: Norwayne 36, Spring Creek 0 -- Caleb Gough rushed for 130 yards and two touchdowns. Tim Farmer added two rushing TDs, while Noah Pilkington provided one TD. Troy Barnes and Randy Floars each recorded a quarterback sack on defense. Austin Lane recovered a fumble and Farmer emerged the team leader in tackles. Norwayne (6-1) concludes regular-season play Nov. 7 at Greenwood.
Neuse River Football League
* Goldsboro 31, North Duplin 0 -- Goldsboro concluded play 7-0 and clinched the Neuse River Youth Football League regular-season championship.
* Mount Olive 40, Rosewood 25 -- Terquavis Butler, Nadavion Pemberton and De'untae Wright each rushed for a touchdown in the Hurricanes' win. Jakory Harper returned two fumbles for touchdowns on defense. Butler and Bubba Strickland each collected four tackles. Mount Olive improved to 6-1 overall this season.
* Mount Olive 22, Eastern Wayne 14 -- Jamarri Leach hauled in a pair of touchdown passes from Wood Wright, and Rayshawn Thompson added a rushing TD for the Hurricanes. Shyheem Campbell emerged the defensive leader with five tackles. Wright also picked off an Eastern Wayne pass. Mount Olive climbed to 5-1 overall this season.
* Mount Olive 7, Eastern Wayne 6 -- Dre Wright rushed for 70 yards and the Hurricanes' lone touchdown. Mo Brooks' PAT conversion run proved to be the game-winning score for Mount Olive, which remained perfect in five outings this season. Aryc Chrisman recorded seven tackles, including four for lost yardage, and recovered a fumble. Terrion Leach posted three tackles and two quarterback sacks.
* C.B. Aycock d. Spring Creek -- Luke Frederick returned a kickoff 60 yards for a touchdown and added a 40-yard touchdown run. Jordan Woodard, Jordon Williams and Cody Whaley each rushed for a touchdown on offense. Hayden Gurley returned an interception for a touchdown, while Alec Pine picked up a fumble and raced to the end zone. Jordon Gay emerged the defensive leader with 10 tackles and a blocked punt. Tyler Parrish (eight tackles), Carl Floars (four tackles), Deshaun Owens (four tackles) and Xavier Eutsey (five tackles) played solid on defense. Aycock improved to 3-1 overall.
Other Local Sports
- Rosewood shuts down Union, advances to 2nd round
- Trojans sink Flying Fleet in Conference Carolinas soccer tournament
- Princeton's Heflin finishes tied for 24th in 1-A/2-A golf championships
- Raleigh Charter defeats Princeton in 1-A east volleyball final
- Back-to-back: Simmons wins second straight 3-A golf championship
- 'Happy to be here' mentality not for Eastern Wayne
- Wayne Country Day fall sports athletes honored
- Preps digest: Middle school volleyball
- Lane Tree Ladies Golf news
- Burton paces Eagles; Heflin lone Bulldog in 1-A/2-A state golf meet