Preps digest: Nash Central eliminates CBA in 3-A dual-team tennis playoffs
By Ryan Hanchett
Published in Sports on November 1, 2012 1:49 PM
Nash Central 6, C.B. Aycock 0
* RED OAK -- Nash Central swept the singles courts and captured a 6-0, third-round victory over Charles B. Aycock in the N.C. High School Athletic Association Class 3-A women's dual-team tennis playoffs Wednesday afternoon.
East regional champion and all-state performer Ashton Walker dropped a heart-breaking 7-6 (3), 6-4 decision to the Bulldogs' Randi Price at No. 1 singles. Walker concluded the year 31-2 overall.
Nash Central lost just six games in the other five matches.
"Nash Central is a very talented team with a deep lineup," CBA head coach Luke Vail said. "Their consistency and experience were too much for us to overcome. I was proud of our team for advancing to the final eight teams in the state.
"We are a young team with a bright future."
Golden Falcon seniors Katie Gurley and Kimber Pender each played their final match. Gurley finished the season 24-7 in singles.
Aycock ended the year 17-6 overall.
South Brunswick 3, Southern Wayne 2
* SOUHTPORT -- South Brunswick scored the deciding goal in overtime and downed Southern Wayne 3-2 in the opening round of the N.C. High School Athletic Association 3-A soccer playoffs on Wednesday.
Juan Trejo and Cesar Benitez each scored one goal for the Saints.
Southern Wayne finished the season 10-9-2 overall.
Raleigh Charter 6, Princeton 0
* RALEIGH -- Princeton never figured out the Raleigh Charter defense Wednesday night during a 6-0, opening-round loss in the NCHSAA 1-A state playoffs.
Princeton finished the season 8-10-4 overall.
Neuse River Football League
* C.B. Aycock 39, Eastern Wayne 13 -- Justin Williams and Jaden Cooper each rushed for a pair of touchdowns. Clay Matthews and Turner Bass recorded one TD apiece. Derrick Swinson recovered two fumbles on defense. Cris Crow recovered a fumble and intercepted a Wee Warrior pass. The Golden Falcons improved to 5-1 overall.
* Mount Olive 24, Rosewood 12 -- Davion Thompson rushed for two touchdowns for the Hurricanes, who concluded regular-season play 6-1. Royshawn Thompson provided a rushing TD. Shyheem Campbell emerged the defensive leader with 11 tackles.
* Mount Olive 20, Rosewood 7 -- Dre Wright, Darrion Leach and Jarius Brewer each rushed for a touchdown in the Hurricanes' regular-season finale. Josh Nicholson logged four tackles on defense. Mount Olive finished 6-0.
Other Local Sports
- Morris, WAVE president, excited about adding boys' program
- Spring Creek blanks Midway, advances in 1-A boys' soccer playoffs
- Rosewood avenges loss to Lejeune
- Rosewood-Lejeune box
- Princeton upsets North Duplin in 1-A football playoffs
- Princeton-North Duplin box
- Orange eliminates Eastern Wayne from 3-A football playoffs
- Aycock rallies past Burlington Williams in 3-A football playoffs
- NC prep football scores
- Lafond leads MOC to 2nd straight trip to NCAA D2 cross country national meet