Local Preps Digest
By From staff reports
Published in Sports on November 7, 2012 1:48 PM
Goldsboro Heat 50,
Wayne Christian 45
* Wayne Christian tipped off its varsity boys' basketball campaign with a 50-45 loss to Goldsboro Heat.
Senior Chris Easom pumped in a team-high 12 points and grabbed eight rebounds. Senior Dylan Smith provided 11 points, four rebounds, seven assists, six steals and three blocked shots.
Sophomore David Swets contributed seven points and nine rebounds.
The Eagles (0-1 overall) open the home portion of their schedule Nov. 13 against Carolina Christian 1-A Conference foe Northwood Temple.
Walnut Creek LGA
* Mary Morris captured low gross on a blustery, cold day at Walnut Creek Country Club. Charlotte Campbell and Maureen Prys claimed low net and low putts, respectively.
Neuse River Football League
* Mount Olive 24, Spring Creek 20 -- Terquavis Butler rushed for four touchdowns in the Hurricanes' opening-round playoff win. Butler emerged the defensive leader with six tackles, while Jakory Harper recorded four stops. Mount Olive (7-1 overall) faces unbeaten Goldsboro (8-0) for the Neuse River Youth Football League Division I championship on Nov. 13.
* Mount Olive 21, Goldsboro 6 -- Hurricanes' quarterback Wood Wright rushed for two touchdowns and hooked up with Rayshawn Thompson for a TD through the air. Shyheem Campbell paced the defense with nine tackles. Jamari Leach registered six tackles. Mount Olive (7-0 overall) travels to Charles B. Aycock (6-1) for the NRYFL Division I championship on Nov. 10.
* Mount Olive 34, Eastern Wayne 12 -- Dre Wright accounted for two touchdowns in the Hurricanes' playoff victory. Jack Casbarro threw a touchdown pass to NoNo Sampson. Mo Brooks and Josh McClain each rushed for a touchdown. McClain and Aryc Chrisman led the defense with four tackles apiece. Brooks had three tackles for lost yardage. Mount Olive (7-1 overall) plays host to C.B. Aycock (7-1) for the NRYFL Division I championship on Nov. 10.