Lafond sets new record at national meet
By MOC Sports Information
Published in Sports on November 19, 2012 1:48 PM
MOC Sports Information
JOPLIN, Mo. -- Freshman Dylan Lafond emerged Mount Olive College's top performer during the NCAA Division II men's cross country championships contested Saturday.
Lafond took 93rd overall among 245 runners with a time of 31 minutes, 25.4 seconds on the 10k course at Missouri Southern State University. Lafond's final position is a new MOC record at the national level and his time topped the school's 10k mark set two weeks ago at the Southeast Regional.
Fellow freshman Aki Kitagawa placed 109th in 31:37. Senior Ronnie Sturgill finished the course in 32:28.9. Mike Munoz crossed the line in 32:47.1, while Erasmo Ordonez was 206th overall in 3:31.02.
Stephen Greco and Jamar Davis also competed. Sturgill and Ordonez made their second appearance in the national championship meet.
MOC ended up 28th among 32 teams.
Adams State successfully defended its national title and has won five of the last six championships overall.
Other Local Sports
- Goldsboro-RM Prep basketball boxes
- Rocky Mount Prep-Goldsboro boys
- Preps digest: JV, middle school sports
- Sauls leads Aycock's effort in the pool
- Cougars turn up defensive heat, roll past RM Prep
- Hunt hands CBA first loss of the season
- Warriors tip off season with road win
- Wayne Christian girls defeat Terra Ceia
- Raynor pumps in 24 points, Eagles stop Panthers
- WCDS boys dominate Wilson Christian