Southern Wayne grapples with Hunt
By News-Argus Staff
Published in Sports on November 21, 2012 1:48 PM
WILSON -- Six Southern Wayne grapplers emerged victorious during a season-opening, 48-33 dual-team loss to perennial Class 3-A power Wilson Hunt on Tuesday evening.
Heavyweight Deonta Hayes, 106-pounder Noah Blackmon, 152-pounder Okhanye Wallace and 182-pounder Chris Brinson each pinned their respective opponent. Malik Jones (120 pounds) and Tyquan Collie (195) also contributed points to the Saints' cause.
"We filled every weight class but 113 due to an injury," first-year Southern Wayne head coach Glenn Gardner said. "We fought hard and took great steps to getting where we want to be, but we have a long way to go. Only four of our wrestlers have ever competed in a match before.
"We have to keep fighting and get some experience. Tonight, we proved we have some athletes who can compete. We just have to fight hard, finish and learn what it is to be a wrestler."
The Saints (0-1 overall) will participate in the Hoke County Duals today.
Other Local Sports
- Goldsboro-RM Prep basketball boxes
- Rocky Mount Prep-Goldsboro boys
- Preps digest: JV, middle school sports
- Sauls leads Aycock's effort in the pool
- Cougars turn up defensive heat, roll past RM Prep
- Hunt hands CBA first loss of the season
- Warriors tip off season with road win
- Wayne Christian girls defeat Terra Ceia
- Raynor pumps in 24 points, Eagles stop Panthers
- WCDS boys dominate Wilson Christian